From: adegbenga oshineye gbengaoshy@...
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:55:48 -0800 (PST)
To: thelaststraw@...
Subject: inquirery on the role of strawbale on lowcost buildings

                              Oshineye Gbenga
    No.14 Sani Street,
    P.O. Box 852
    Jos, Plateau State
    Nigeria.

The Last Straw
Hc 66,Box 119,
Hillsboro, Nw 88042 USA

Dear Sir,

INQUIRERY ON THE ROLE OF MODERN BUILDING MATERIALS ON
LOW COST BUILDING USING STRAWBALE.

My name is Oshineye Gbenga, my matriculation number is
UJ/2000/EV/0200. I am presently completing my B.Sc in
Architecture at the University of Jos, Plateau State,
Nigeria.

I am writing a dissertation on the role of modern
building materials on low cost buildings using
straw-bale, am so interested in this material and I
would want to introduce the use of it in my country.
Could you please help me answer some questions?

MY QUESTSION ARE:
1. What role does Straw bale play in low cost
buildings in terms of capital cost and maintenance
cost?
2. What is the availability of the materials, can it
be sourced locally in Nigeria?
3. Is Straw-bale adaptive to all weather?
4. What are the functional requirements of Straw-bale?
5. What are the limitations of Straw-bale in design
and construction?
6. What is the ease of construction in terms of time
and method of construction?
7. Could you please send me pictures of existing
buildings built with Straw-bale?
8. Could you also send me journals dated as far back
as 1995-2003, and other relevant materials that will
be of help to me?

Why I choose this topic is because low cost buildings
has since suffered undue treatment in the use of
material and maintenance, which causes discomforts and
negative social impact on the users.  Having a passion
for the built environment, I know this dissertation
will go a long way in enhancing social revitalisation
on the built environment.
Thank you for your anticipated co-operation and
soonest reply.

Sincerely,
Oshineye Gbenga.