Re: GSBN:HRVs and SB

Lacking comments from Rob Tom and Paula Baker Laporte, here is what I think about indoor air quality. Moisture buildup is not the only problem. It may be the most serious issue for the physical structure of the home, but it is probably secondary for the health of the inhabitants.

For good indoor air quality, a home needs significant, continuous air exchange in all rooms. This is hard to achieve. If a building has lots of air infiltration, it wastes energy and can lead to invisible moistuure problems in the walls. A loose home is also likely to have very uneven air exchange. If a building is tight, then air exchange needs to be designed in, in order to have healthy air quality in all rooms, regardless of moisture levels.

Current heat recovery ventilation systems are primitive and expensive, which is why we don't want to use them. But to ignore the problem and subject ourselves, our families and our clients to unhealthy indoor air is irresponsible.

Derek