Re: GSBN:HRVs and SB

--On Friday, January 24, 2003 7:54 AM -0500 Paul Lacinski paul@... wrote:

So now that I've gone in a bit of a circle about that, I will
disagress with Derek's assertion that "current heat recovery
ventilation systems are primitive and expensive."  They are
somewhat expensive, but I would certainly not call them primitive.

I appreciate Paul's comments and the misleading nature of my earlier unqualified assertion. From a practical point of view, current HRV systems are pretty impressive in recovering 70% of the heat. And averaged over the life of the home, their value to health is high and their cost is small.

What I had in mind when I wrote before was comparing current HRVs to what we will see in the market very soon, after use has become high enough to drive research, innovation and competition on a much larger scale. I think that within five years, we will see large increases in efficiency, combined with large drops in price and easier/better installation protocols. "Primitive" doesn't always mean bad, but I expect to see a lot of improvement and optimization in HRV systems.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...