Date: 25 Jan 2003 10:16:48 -0600
From: Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...
Subject: Off-topic (a poor use of GSBN resources?)

David Eisenberg's birthday!

While I don't think these announcements and well-wishes are a bad thing,
recent comments made here are a reminder that it might be just the sort of
tripe that drives people - like the birthday boy himself - away from email
lists. Me, I think it's part of the whole "community" ethos of SB, which
IMO is terribly important and increasingly overlooked. If I should knock it
off, say so. Publicly or privately, though privately would probably be
preferred by some number of folks rather than a time-wasting thread about
such a 'trivial' issue. I won't be offended or hurt.

That said, I'm still collecting SB birthdays for no reason other than this
kind of post (which may migrate into some other thing, or to some other
forum). Send your own, or rat out a friend. If I've announced yours in the
past and you want that to not happen again, let me know.