Re: GSBN:Off-topic (a poor use of GSBN resources?)

I agree with Bill - keep GSBN as an "official" type
list - while life without birthdays is like ice cream
without a freezer there is an avenue for the
"un-official" news/notes.

Maurice Bennett

--- Athena & Bill Steen absteen@... wrote:
> Mark,
> I would say that I agree with you fully that
> building, business and the
> like can be awfully empty and hollow when they
> neglect the larger part
> of life as a whole.  I guess that means assorted
> personal details,
> birthdays and the like.  However, we have two lists
> at the present and
> they may help solve the problem.  Since the GSBN is
> kind of the more
> official type list dealing with factual info,
> messages pertinent to SB
> and it's development,  perhaps the personal stuff
> might be confined to
> the SB-r-us list where there are not the same
> concerns and time
> constraints.
>
> B...
>
> On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 08:56 AM, Mark
> Piepkorn wrote:
>
> > David Eisenberg's birthday!
> >

> > While I don't think these announcements and
> well-wishes are a bad
> > thing, recent comments made here are a reminder
> that it might be just
> > the sort of tripe that drives people - like the
> birthday boy himself -
> > away from email lists. Me, I think it's part of
> the whole "community"
> > ethos of SB, which IMO is terribly important and
> increasingly
> > overlooked. If I should knock it off, say so.
> Publicly or privately,
> > though privately would probably be preferred by
> some number of folks
> > rather than a time-wasting thread about such a
> 'trivial' issue. I
> > won't be offended or hurt.
> >
> > That said, I'm still collecting SB birthdays for
> no reason other than
> > this kind of post (which may migrate into some
> other thing, or to some
> > other forum). Send your own, or rat out a friend.
> If I've announced
> > yours in the past and you want that to not happen
> again, let me know.
> >

> > ----
> > For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise
> using the GSBN
> > list, send email to GSBN@...
> with HELP in the
> > SUBJECT line.  ----
> >

> Athena & Bill Steen
> The Canelo Project
> HC1 Box 324
> Canelo/Elgin, AZ 85611
> absteen@...
> www.caneloproject.com
>
> ----
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise
> using the GSBN list, send email to
> GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT
> line.
> ----

=====
Maurice and Joy Bennett

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberby nor safety"  Benjamin Franklin