RE: GSBN:Low Tech SB wall

Tim,

One of the best things to come out of our testing of walls in compression
was that we did not use pins or mesh on some of the walls, and they turned
out to be the strongest.  It has been this type of data that has let us use
only the materials we feel are needed to acheive any particular solution.
By incorporating the pins at the top and bottom, I think the results will
only reflect how some people build bale walls.  This certainly is not how we
build them, and therefore the results will be rather useless to us.  If your
walls did not have pins, pins could be incorporated, if necessary, to help
persuade a reluctant building official, but certainly not the other way
around.  I am also not clear as to the use of SIP screws, but again, my
comment is keep it simple!  The results will have the widest benefit.

Jeff Ruppert, P.E.
Odisea Engineering, Planning and Consulting
2241 17th St.
Boulder, CO  80304
303.443.4335
303.443.4355 fax