Re: GSBN:Low Tech SB wall

Tim,

I suggest you contact Mike Pain and or John Zhang
j.zhang@...regarding their expriences with SB wall compression
testing as they did in NSW Australia. They expressly did not support the
stucco and allowed it to slide past the support and pressure beams the
reasoning being that otherwise you are effectively testing the mechanical
stability and capability of the stucco and not the bales. This is due to the
much higher E-modulus of the stucco. Ie the stucco will have to fail first
before the bales start taking any appreciable loading.

In most practical applications the stucco will be taking the load due to the
detailing especially at the foot. Therfore the test as executed down under
could be seen as a worst case scenario. I personally would like to see the
effect of different top and bottom plate stucco bonding details. Besides the
numbers I would also like to see the failure modes. Ie when the bales start
to take the load. I would suggest that the detail as used in the testing
should be a as simple as possible therefore I suggest you don't use any mesh
for the earthplasterd samples as the general practice is not to use mesh. Is
an experienced earth stucco practitioner involved in creating the samples?
If not I would at least consult one with the same amount of experience like
Barbara Jones, John Glassford or Bill Steen regarding recipes and
application details (and not to forget drying times).

With kind regards,
Rene Dalmeijer