From: GSBN [mailto:GSBN@...]On Behalf Of Bob Bolles
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 9:11 AM
To: GSBN
Cc: bainbrid@...
Subject: RE: GSBN:Re: : slab edge insulation

Hi John
You wrote"
<snip>
>"Finally, if you are using a concrete foundation, adding a couple inches
of foam or fiber insulation to the exteiror of the foundation is
likely to be easier and high performance"

Well, therein lies the problem
If you place the foam on the exterior, first there is the appearance issue,
as well as protecting it from damage.
Then, I have to ask if this would potentially provide a path, behind the
foam or through it, for termites, ants and other little critters?

I believe that insulation under the slab is probably appropriate for cold
climates, but I am working in sunny Southern California. How much insulation
should we use, if any, below the slab.

Regards
Bob

Bob Bolles
Sustainable Building Solutions
Bob@...
www.StrawBaleHouse.com
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"  Benjamin Franklin