From: GSBN [mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Nehemiah
Stone
Sent: March 10, 2003 23:07
To: GSBN
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: : slab edge insulation

I beg to differ with John and John.  I did a fair amount of infrared
camera work a number of years ago to see where heat exits a building in
central California.  We would crank the heating system up to a little
bit above what one would normally heat a house to, and then film it
from the outside in the middle of the night.  The three greatest loss
sites for a "normally" insulated house (one that just meets the minimum
California requirements), were (1) the aluminum frames of windows, (2)
the slab edge, and (3) hot water pipes and other pipes (e.g., the
pop-off valve) near the water heater.  Slab edges, when the slab is
exposed to the night sky, account for a VERY significant portion of the
winter heat losses.  Slab edges, when they are tucked under a very wide
eave, account for a lot less.  And slab edges that are insulated, very
much less still.  If a person is going to have a a radiant floor
heating system, then they absolutely should insulate the slab edge.
There are products available that have a hard styrene material
surrounding the insulation.  The hard coating (1) looks good, and (2)
has a key that ties into the slab so that termites cannot pass between
the two building elements.  The insulation is used as the form when
pouring the slab.

Nehemiah Stone