GSBN:Planning to be in the UK the end of May/early June

Hello all,

I wanted to explore a possibility with some of the folks on this list -
that I have been invited to give a presentation in early June in
Edinburgh, Scotland for the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (code
officials) on issues related to sustainability and codes. I am also
hoping to get down to Hastings to visit my dear friend John Turner on
this trip, meaning that I will essentially be traveling through much of
England and Scotland while there.

One of the issues that I am also dealing with is that the honor of giving
this presentation comes only with expenses covered and a very small
stipend for the time of the conference, and so I am wanting to explore
the potential to give a seminar, talk, do some consultations, etc. that
might help offset the costs of this trip.  As it stands, I hope to leave
for the UK at the beginning of the last week of May, the conference runs
June 3-6 and I speak in Edinburgh on June 4th. I need to return to the US
on the 8th  or 9th at the latest, as I have workshops to lead in Colorado
later that week. That means that I will likely fly to Gatwick, around the
26th, go down to Hastings for a couple of days than head north.

So if anyone is interested in arranging something along the way, that
would be great. And if not, we'll just have to see whether I can make
this trip work.

Sorry for not jumping in more often in the discussions here. Slab
insulation...hmm, nothing clever to add comes to mind that hasn't been
said.  Interesting as this list often is, we're really scrambling at DCAT
to keep afloat as we have lost virtually all of our grant funding over
the past year. So we're doing more contract and fee for services work,
while also looking for ways to raise more money, which just eats up my
time - and we're also down to just Tony Novelli, me (and Holly Altman for
a few hours a week managing the books and such). So, more to do, less
support and time to do it.

We are still making some good progress with the codes work but it is a
struggle to keep it going without support. But I know that DCAT isn't
alone in this struggle. But if any of you have big pots of money laying
around that you just can't figure out what to do with...

hanging in there and working for peace,

David

"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem
is civil obedience. Our problem is that numbers of
people all over the world have obeyed the dictates
of the leaders of their government and have gone to
war, and millions have been killed because of this
obedience... Our problem is that people are
obedient all over the world in the face of poverty
and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty.
Our problem is that people are obedient while the
jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while
the grand thieves are running and robbing the
country. That's our problem."
   - Howard Zinn, "Failure to Quit"