GSBN:Invitation to Istanbul Conference

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><html>

The invitation below was extended to Owen Geiger, BWB Assistant Director.
It's apparently all-expense paid, and they are looking for someone to
present on earthquake housing design. Owen can't make it -- is there
someone else who would like to go to represent the subject and
BWB? Please reply to both Owen and myself, off list.
Thanks,
Catherine

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:53:46 -0600
>To: blackrange@...
>From: Owen Geiger mail@...
>Subject: Fwd: invitation
>
>Hi Catherine. Maybe you know someone who is able to attend this
conference in Istanbul. I'm hoping that I can start attending events like
this eventually, but there's no way I can go right now.

>Thanks,
>Owen
>

>>Date: Fri, 25 APR 2003 08:19:13 -0500
>>From: seryildiz@...
>>To: mail@...
>>>
>>From:Prof. Dr. Semih Eryildiz seryildiz@...
>>
>>April 25,2003
>>

>>Dear Mr. Patric Coulombel,
>>
>>As you have been informed before Bahcesehir University is
planning an
>>international roundtable on May 25- 27, 2003 and preparing a
seminar on
>>November on
>>iEcological and Disaster Resistant Settlement in Istanbulii.

>>Enclosed is the tentative program of a roundtable. This
roundtable is to
>>coordinate our efforts. We need expert assistance, we want to
co-organize
>>seminar in November.
>>
>>Weill be very pleased to see yourself, or a representative of EA,
on the
>>roundtable in Istanbul, and hear your ideas about the formulation
of our
>>final program.
>>
>>All expences, excluding travel costs to and from Istanbul, will
be covered
by
>>Bahcesehir University
>>
>>Yours Sincerely
>>Prof. Dr. Semih Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z
>>
>>University of Bahcesehir
>>Faculty of Architecture
>>Istanbul/Turkey
>> INTERNATIONAL ROUNDTABLE
>>"ECOLOGICAL and DISASTER RESISTANT BUILDING and
SETTLEMENT"
>>MAY 25-26-27, 2003 in ISTANBUL
>>UNIVERSITY of BAHCESEHIR-FACULTY of ARCHITECTURE
>>

>>May 25, 2003 (Sunday)
> >
>>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcesehir Campus
>>
>>13:00 Lunch
> >
>>14:30 "Presentation and Evaluation"
>> Main Smart Class
>>17:00 Boat trip on the Bosphorus and Princes Islands
>>20:00 Dinner
> >

>>May 26, 2003 (Monday)
> >
>>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcesehir Campus-Main Conference Hall

>> OPENNING SESSION
>>
>>10:00 "Introductory Speech"
>> Dean of Faculty of Architecture - University of Bahcesehir -

>> Prof.Dr. Ay&amp;#351;en Akp&amp;#305;nar
>>10:15 President of University of Bahcesehir-Prof.Dr. Halil Guven

>>10:30 Welcome from Numan Cebeci-The Speaker of the 4th Ecomeeting

>>10:45 "Ecological and Disaster Resistant Building and
Settlement in
>>Istanbul"-
>> Research Project
>> Prof. Dr. Semih Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z-Faculty of
>> Architecture-University of Bahcesehir
>>11:00 "Prospective &amp;#304;stanbul Earthquake and
Precautions Taken by
>>Municipality "
>> Representative of Municipality
>>11:30 "Prospective &amp;#304;stanbul Earthquake and
Precautions Taken by
>>Governorship "
>> Representative of Governorship
>>12:00 "Strategic Energy Planning "
>> Ministry of Energy and Natural Sources
>>12:30 Lunch Break
>>
>> 2ND SESSION
>> Chairperson : Prof.Dr. Ay&amp;#351;en Akp&amp;#305;nar-
University of
>> Bahcesehir
>>
>>13:30 "Sustainable Building Design"
>> IHS (Institute for Housing Studies) - Ronald Rovers- to be

confirmed
>>14:00 "Steel Structures"
>> KSU (Kent State University) - Charles Harker
>>14:30 "Earthquake Design"
>> BWB (Builders Without Borders) - Owen Geiger- to be confirmed

>>15:00 Break
> >

>> 3RD SESSION
>> Chairperson: Prof. Dr. Y&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z Sey-Istanbul
Technical
>> University
>>
>>15:15 "Financial Models of Sustainable Neighbourhood"

>> Mark Gibbson-Geographer
>>15:45 EA (Emergency Architects)- attendance and conference
subject to
>>be confirmed
>>16:15 "Production of Ecological Systems in Turkey"

>> Asst.Prof.Dr. Muhyettin Sirer
>>16:45 "Ecotourism"
> >
>> NOV&amp;#304;TAS Tourism-President of Society of Ecotourism,
Gulsen
>> K&amp;#305;rba&amp;#351;
>>17:15 Discussion
> >
>>18:00 Cocktail
> >

>>May 27, 2003 ( Tuesday)
>>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcelievler Campus
>> 4TH SESSION - ROUNDTABLE
>> Chairperson: Assistant to the President at University of
Bahcesehir,

>>10:00 "Roundtable Discussion"
>> Prof. Dr. Mete Tapan - Istanbul Technical University
>> Assoc.Prof. Dr.Cetin Goksu-Middle East Technical University

>> M. Arch. Numan Cebeci
>> M. Arch. Celik Erengezgin
>> Assoc.Prof.Dr. Demet Irkl&amp;#305;
Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z-GU
>> Representatives of Chamber of Architects,
>> City Planners,
>> Landscape Architects
>>13:00 "Closing Remarks"
>> Prof.Dr. Semih Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z-B&amp;#350;U
>>
>>13:15 Meeting of Final Declaration
>>14:00 Lunch
> >

>>ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
>>
>>Instructor: Ersin ARISOY,M. Arch
>>Asst.Prof.Dr. Y&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z AKSOY
>>Research Assistant Neslihan AYDIN YONET, BURP
>>Research Assistant Deniz ARSLAN
>>Can ELMAS, M. Arch

</x-html>