-> Invitation to Istanbul Conference
     by Catherine Wanek blackrange@...
-> Re: Call for help from Peru
     by Rene Dalmeijer rened@...

Date: 26 Apr 2003 10:15:23 -0500
From: Catherine Wanek blackrange@...
Subject: Invitation to Istanbul Conference

Hello all-

The invitation below was extended to Owen Geiger, BWB Assistant Director.
It's apparently all-expense paid, and they are looking for someone to
present on earthquake housing design. Owen can't make it -- is there
someone else who would like to go to represent the subject and
BWB? Please reply to both Owen and myself, off list.
Thanks,
Catherine

 >Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:53:46 -0600
 >To: blackrange@...
 >From: Owen Geiger mail@...
 >Subject: Fwd: invitation
 >
 >Hi Catherine. Maybe you know someone who is able to attend this
conference in Istanbul. I'm hoping that I can start attending events like
this eventually, but there's no way I can go right now.

> [...]
 >>
 >>Yours Sincerely
 >>Prof. Dr. Semih Eryıldız
 >>
 >>University of Bahcesehir
 >>Faculty of Architecture
 >>Istanbul/Turkey
 >> INTERNATIONAL ROUNDTABLE
 >>"ECOLOGICAL and DISASTER RESISTANT BUILDING and SETTLEMENT"
 >>MAY 25-26-27, 2003 in ISTANBUL
 >>UNIVERSITY of BAHCESEHIR-FACULTY of ARCHITECTURE
 >>

 >>May 25, 2003 (Sunday)
 > >
 >>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcesehir Campus
 >>
 >>13:00 Lunch
 > >
 >>14:30 "Presentation and Evaluation"
 >> Main Smart Class
 >>17:00 Boat trip on the Bosphorus and Princes Islands
 >>20:00 Dinner
 > >

 >>May 26, 2003 (Monday)
 > >
 >>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcesehir Campus-Main Conference Hall
 >> OPENNING SESSION
 >>
 >>10:00 "Introductory Speech"
 >> Dean of Faculty of Architecture - University of Bahcesehir -
 >> Prof.Dr. Ayşen Akpınar
 >>10:15 President of University of Bahcesehir-Prof.Dr. Halil Guven
 >>10:30 Welcome from Numan Cebeci-The Speaker of the 4th Ecomeeting
 >>10:45 "Ecological and Disaster Resistant Building and Settlement in
 >>Istanbul"-
 >> Research Project
 >> Prof. Dr. Semih Eryıldız-Faculty of
 >> Architecture-University of Bahcesehir
 >>11:00 "Prospective İstanbul Earthquake and Precautions Taken by
 >>Municipality "
 >> Representative of Municipality
 >>11:30 "Prospective İstanbul Earthquake and Precautions Taken by
 >>Governorship "
 >> Representative of Governorship
 >>12:00 "Strategic Energy Planning "
 >> Ministry of Energy and Natural Sources
 >>12:30 Lunch Break
 >>
 >> 2ND SESSION
 >> Chairperson : Prof.Dr. Ayşen Akpınar- University of
 >> Bahcesehir
 >>
 >>13:30 "Sustainable Building Design"
 >> IHS (Institute for Housing Studies) - Ronald Rovers- to be
confirmed
 >>14:00 "Steel Structures"
 >> KSU (Kent State University) - Charles Harker
 >>14:30 "Earthquake Design"
 >> BWB (Builders Without Borders) - Owen Geiger- to be confirmed
 >>15:00 Break
 > >

 >> 3RD SESSION
 >> Chairperson: Prof. Dr. Yıldız Sey-Istanbul Technical
 >> University
 >>
 >>15:15 "Financial Models of Sustainable Neighbourhood"
 >> Mark Gibbson-Geographer
 >>15:45 EA (Emergency Architects)- attendance and conference subject to
 >>be confirmed
 >>16:15 "Production of Ecological Systems in Turkey"
 >> Asst.Prof.Dr. Muhyettin Sirer
 >>16:45 "Ecotourism"
 > >
 >> NOVİTAS Tourism-President of Society of Ecotourism, Gulsen
 >> Kırbaş
 >>17:15 Discussion
 > >
 >>18:00 Cocktail
 > >

 >>May 27, 2003 ( Tuesday)
 >>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcelievler Campus
 >> 4TH SESSION - ROUNDTABLE
 >> Chairperson: Assistant to the President at University of
Bahcesehir,

 >>10:00 "Roundtable Discussion"
 >> Prof. Dr. Mete Tapan - Istanbul Technical University
 >> Assoc.Prof. Dr.Cetin Goksu-Middle East Technical University
 >> M. Arch. Numan Cebeci
 >> M. Arch. Celik Erengezgin
 >> Assoc.Prof.Dr. Demet Irklı Eryıldız-GU
 >> Representatives of Chamber of Architects,
 >> City Planners,
 >> Landscape Architects
 >>13:00 "Closing Remarks"
 >> Prof.Dr. Semih Eryıldız-BŞU
 >>
 >>13:15 Meeting of Final Declaration
 >>14:00 Lunch
 > >

 >>ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
 >>
 >>Instructor: Ersin ARISOY,M. Arch
 >>Asst.Prof.Dr. Yıldız AKSOY
 >>Research Assistant Neslihan AYDIN YONET, BURP
 >>Research Assistant Deniz ARSLAN
 >>Can ELMAS, M. Arch

There may be important message content

- --=====================_585419==_.ALT

<<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>

- --=====================_585419==_.ALT

> [...]

>>14:30 "Presentation and Evaluation"
>> Main Smart Class
>>17:00 Boat trip on the Bosphorus and Princes Islands
>>20:00 Dinner
> >

>>May 26, 2003 (Monday)
> >
>>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcesehir Campus-Main Conference Hall

>> OPENNING SESSION
>>
>>10:00 "Introductory Speech"
>> Dean of Faculty of Architecture - University of Bahcesehir -

>> Prof.Dr. Ay&amp;#351;en Akp&amp;#305;nar
>>10:15 President of University of Bahcesehir-Prof.Dr. Halil Guven

>>10:30 Welcome from Numan Cebeci-The Speaker of the 4th Ecomeeting

>>10:45 "Ecological and Disaster Resistant Building and
Settlement in
>>Istanbul"-
>> Research Project
>> Prof. Dr. Semih Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z-Faculty of
>> Architecture-University of Bahcesehir
>>11:00 "Prospective &amp;#304;stanbul Earthquake and
Precautions Taken by
>>Municipality "
>> Representative of Municipality
>>11:30 "Prospective &amp;#304;stanbul Earthquake and
Precautions Taken by
>>Governorship "
>> Representative of Governorship
>>12:00 "Strategic Energy Planning "
>> Ministry of Energy and Natural Sources
>>12:30 Lunch Break
>>
>> 2ND SESSION
>> Chairperson : Prof.Dr. Ay&amp;#351;en Akp&amp;#305;nar-
University of
>> Bahcesehir
>>
>>13:30 "Sustainable Building Design"
>> IHS (Institute for Housing Studies) - Ronald Rovers- to be

confirmed
>>14:00 "Steel Structures"
>> KSU (Kent State University) - Charles Harker
>>14:30 "Earthquake Design"
>> BWB (Builders Without Borders) - Owen Geiger- to be confirmed

>>15:00 Break
> >

>> 3RD SESSION
>> Chairperson: Prof. Dr. Y&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z Sey-Istanbul
Technical
>> University
>>
>>15:15 "Financial Models of Sustainable Neighbourhood"

>> Mark Gibbson-Geographer
>>15:45 EA (Emergency Architects)- attendance and conference
subject to
>>be confirmed
>>16:15 "Production of Ecological Systems in Turkey"

>> Asst.Prof.Dr. Muhyettin Sirer
>>16:45 "Ecotourism"
> >
>> NOV&amp;#304;TAS Tourism-President of Society of Ecotourism,
Gulsen
>> K&amp;#305;rba&amp;#351;
>>17:15 Discussion
> >
>>18:00 Cocktail
> >

>>May 27, 2003 ( Tuesday)
>>University of Bahcesehir-Bahcelievler Campus
>> 4TH SESSION - ROUNDTABLE
>> Chairperson: Assistant to the President at University of
Bahcesehir,

>>10:00 "Roundtable Discussion"
>> Prof. Dr. Mete Tapan - Istanbul Technical University
>> Assoc.Prof. Dr.Cetin Goksu-Middle East Technical University

>> M. Arch. Numan Cebeci
>> M. Arch. Celik Erengezgin
>> Assoc.Prof.Dr. Demet Irkl&amp;#305;
Ery&amp;#305;ld&amp;#305;z-GU

- --=====================_585419==_.ALT--

Date: 26 Apr 2003 16:55:31 -0500
From: Rene Dalmeijer rened@...
Subject: Re: Call for help from Peru

Pedro,

Your request has triggered a lot of activity to assist you.

What I suggest is go to the following:
1) BWB site audit fill in the form
http://builderswithoutborders.org/publications/audit.htm
2) Look at or download http://www.7generaciones.org/CNprimer.htm it is a
Spanish language translation of a SB introduction and basic building
practices as developed for Mongolia. A new updated even more appropriate
book is on its way. We don't advise some of the techniques in this book
anymore.
3) Have a look at the other material on the BWB site
http://builderswithoutborders.org/

There is a lot of material there which I am sure will be of great
assistance to you. Due to your request and others we have found out that it
should be easier for people like you to assemble all the material you need.
We have now started on a project to be better prepared for requests such as
yours.

At 08:24 PM 4/24/03, you wrote:

>Dear Rene,
>
>The information I need concerns everything related to natural buildings
>like cob, SB, wattle and daub, rammed earth, bamboo, earthen finishes,
>plasters, masonry, permaculture, renewable energy ( I know that you use
>lots of wind power in the Nederlands, maybe you have some material about
>build-it-yourself wind mill), composting, etc.

Pedro We can help you with all the building technology questions you are
asking. To better help you I suggest you fill out the site audit as
suggested in step 1)  regarding wind mills I am afraid I must disappoint
you the Netherlands is lagging behind in wind power technology Denmark is
the leader. My experience with build-it-yourself wind mills is that they
are not very effective because they are prone to failures and have very low
efficiency.

>I have looked at your webpage and at some of the links and they are very
>usefull, but haven't got all the information we need. I have some building
>experience and have lots of people with the will to build their houses
>with this alternative methods not only becuase o their smaller ecological
>impact, but also becuase the economical issue is very difficult here. Some
>ingeniers and arquitects are also involved in these projects.

This sounds very encouraging because we stress that using local knowledge
and resources as much is possible is the most effective

Rene Dalmeijer