GSBN:RE: From the Crest list

Bob, Rene,

I used to be on the list but I guess I'm not sure I am anymore since I
didn't receive this except through Bbbbobbb.  Oh Well.

In California, the accepted R-value (for compliance with the state building
standards) is R-30.  That was based on a the results of a number of tests.
One that I managed while at the California Energy Commission (CEC), two at
Oak Ridge National Lab, the tests that Joe McCabe did, and testing that
Sandia Labs did.  Every test had issues, and didn't all test the same thing.
For example, McCabe and Sandia tested straw bales, while the other tests
were of straw bale walls.  The best test (the last one at Oak Ridge) was of
two string bales, but extrapolating the conductance to three string bales
provides a value of R-33.  The CEC, by the nature of its unique position in
the California construction community, has to be conservative in its
specifications; hence, R-30 instead of R-33.
Tighter bales and tighter construction have consistently given better
R-values in the tests.  One of the tests provided a very low R-value,
principally because there was relatively loosely packed straw filling up the
space between the top of the wall and the hole into which it was built at
the test lab.  Another got low values because the stucco did not adhere to
the surface of the bales and there were convective currents between the
straw and stucco.
Sheet rock is flamable, at least enough to feed ignition somewhere else.
The paper coating on sheet rock will burn and burn hot.  Sheet rock is a
very bad choice for finishing a bale wall - even if it weren't for how much
nicer looking a plastered bale wall is than flat gyp board.
When we built my house, we held a propane torch to the side of a bale for
nerly five minutes.  Less than thirty seconds later there wasn't even any
smoke.  We then broke open a bale and lit the loose straw.  In less than
thirty seconds we had a flames over fifteen feet and building fast.  Trying
to burn tightly packed bales is harder than burning a phone book.  Trying to
burn loose straw is easier than burning a pile of phone book pages,
individually ripped from the book, and wadded up.

Hope this helps.

Best to you all.
Nehemiah Stone