-> CalifoRnian values (was re: from the Crest list)
     by "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...
-> Yahoo! Auto Response
     by mbenn1035@...

Date: 8 May 2003 12:09:29 -0500
From: "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...
Subject: CalifoRnian values (was re: from the Crest list)

Rocky et al;

I don't recall the specifics of the CEC tests at the ATI labs but I do
recall that at the time,  I was shaking my head at the manner in which the
test panels were prepared before being presented to the ATI people for
testing.

I have vague memories of things like foam insulation board being jammed into
cracks at the perimeter by the ATI people *during* the tests, presumably to
reduce the haemorrhaging so that their results wouldn't make them look
incompetent as a testing facility. (ie the GIGO syndrome)

I alos have vague memories of meaningless moisture content readings being
taken (I think that it was of bales that weren't even inside of the test
panel), while ignoring the  wet condition of the bales in the actual test
panel which hadn't been allowed to dry out properly after stucco
application.

It was therefore no surprise that the CEC/ATI tests yielded disappointingly
low R-values for straw but even more disappointing was the fact that the CEC
chose to accept the test results as being representative of the insulating
properties of straw bales.

There is no doubt in my mind as to the accuracy of the thermal resitivity
values that JoE McCabe's testing provided, as they agree perfectly with the
theoretical value that would be yielded by the equation used to estimate
thermal conductivity (k) in the absence of data:

                     k = 0.281*Exp((0.0268*density)

(note that the above equation will yield a value that is dead-nuts in the
middle of the two values that JoE provided in which he accounted for fibre
orientation WRT heat flow... which also makes sense because the equation
does not have a modifier for bale orientation)

The Sandia lab resistivity test results (although of bales of lower density
than that used by JoE in his testing) would seem to further confirm that the
CEC/ATI thermal resistance values are seriously flawed.

ie The ASHRAE values for the thermal resistivity of materials (presumably
derived from testing of the materials under lab conditions) is regularly
used to estimate the nominal thermal resistance of building assemblies for
permit purposes etc. so why should there be a double standard for straw
bales ?

Clearly, it was the process (ie of the  panel preparation, not of the ATI
testing) which was flawed and it would seem to make sense that the tests
should be re-done (making the necessary changes each time of course... they
say that one of the signs of insanity is repeating the same actions over and
over again expecting a different result each time) until the thermal
resistance of the test walls approaches the values that are predicted by
JoE's resistivity values.

Aside from the issue of respectability for strawbale housing (ie why would
anyone go to the trouble of doing plastered SB walls to achieve a mere R-30
when better than R-30 can be easily achieved in a thinner and
readily-accepted-by-Conventionaldumb stick-framed wall ?), one would think
that there would be more pragmatic consequences, such as in the reduction of
the sizing of Code-required auxiliary heating (and cooling ?) systems,
possibly even eliminating them in some instances, ultimately saving the
homeowner's financial resources and perhaps more importantly, the planet's
resources.

- --- * ---
Robert W. Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
rw_tom@...

please visit:  http://www.theHungerSite.com daily

>Date: 6 May 2003 23:58:40 -0500
>From: stoneandstraw@...
>Subject: RE: From the Crest list
>

>In California, the accepted R-value (for compliance with the state building
>standards) is R-30.  That was based on a the results of a number of tests.
>One that I managed while at the California Energy Commission (CEC), two at
>Oak Ridge National Lab, the tests that Joe McCabe did, and testing that
>Sandia Labs did.  Every test had issues, and didn't all test the same
>thing.
>For example, McCabe and Sandia tested straw bales, while the other tests
>were of straw bale walls.
[snip]