RE: GSBN:CalifoRnian values (was re: from the Crest list)

Rob,

The R-30 is NOT based on the CEC/ATI tests.  We all recognized they were
flawed (though not quite so incompetently as you seem to remember). The R-30
is based on the best straw bale wall test (watched over by David Einsenberg
and Jeff Christian) at Oak Ridge National Lab.  The CEC/ATI test yeilded a
value in the neighborhood of R-20.  And yes, it was due to moisture.  But
no, it was not due to the incompetence of the ATI staff - but rather to my
own.  To test a wall in the type of chambe that ATI has, we had to build the
wall in place - in the hole in the face of the chamber where they typically
insert the windows that they test as their bread and butter.  Obviously,
building a straw bale wall into a hole of an already defined set of
dimensions means that you cannot get the same tight structure top-to-bottom
that you would if you were building a wall for a house and then placing a
ceiling/roof structure on top of it.  Therefore, we thought we were doing
the best we could when we stuffed the space above the wall (and below the
top of the chamber opening) with straw - as tightly as we could.  Turns out
that we did not get it tight enough to represent real world conditions.
Therefore, the water that we had the ATI staff spray onto the stucco finish
for three days (to prevent large cracks), migrated into the less dense space
above the bales - the space that we stuffed relatively less tightly.  It is
unlikely that three weeks or even three months of drying out would have
removed all (most?) of that moisture.  Yet, the lab could not afford to
leave the test chambers (we used both of the chambers that they had) idle
waiting for the walls to get as dry as they would in your house wall.

I am sorry if I disappointed people by not supervising a procedure that
resulted in straw bale wall test R-values that directly correlated with the
straw bale test results.  But at least it provided enough stimulus for Oak
Ridge to run another test, and to take the quality control serious enough to
invite someone from the California Energy Commission and David Einsenberg to
help supervise the construction of the wall.  Their procedure was
appropriate and I doubt that anyone else, running a high-quality test on a
bale wall, would come up with thermal performance values significantly
different from Oak Ridge's second test (~1997).

Joe's test was probably of equal quality.  The fact that the values diagree
should not surprise anyone.  One test was of a bale, the other was of a
straw bale wall system.  It is time to get over the fact that the R-value
results were different.  Besides the fact that they SHOULD be different
since different things were being tested, the difference between R-30 and
R-45 just doesn't matter.  A fifteen point difference when one of the values
is around R-10 DOES matter; but an equal difference at the high R-values we
are discussing doesn't much matter.  Since R-values are the reciprical of
U-factors (the amount of heat that flows through a SF of your system in one
hour given a one degree temperature difference), the difference between R-10
and R-25 means that one lets 2.5 times more heat through than the other
(0.10 Btu/hr/SF/F and 0.040 Btu/hr/SF/F).  The difference between R-30 and
R-45 means the difference between 0.033 Btu/hr/SF/F and 0.022 Btu/hr/SF/F.
Repeat after me, "It just doesn't matter!  It just doesn't matter."  I
suggest we move on to other, more meaningful disagreements.

Nehemiah