From: GSBN [mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Derek Roff
Sent: May 11, 2003 19:44
To: GSBN
Subject: RE: GSBN:CalifoRnian values (was re: from the Crest list)

> The difference between R-30 and
> R-45 means the difference between 0.033 Btu/hr/SF/F and 0.022
> Btu/hr/SF/F. Repeat after me, "It just doesn't matter!  It just
> doesn't matter."  I suggest we move on to other, more meaningful
> disagreements.
>
> Nehemiah

In terms of a functioning house, I agree with Nehemiah that the exact
R-value for SB doesn't matter.  I also like the statement that I
first heard from Danny Buck of Living Structures:  The R-value of a
strawbale wall is "enough."

When it comes to educating the public about strawbale building, I
feel a need to say more.  What I say these days is something like, "A
straw bale has a R-value of 45 or 50.  A well-built wall can have an
R-value of 30 for the entire wall, according to tests done at Oak
Ridge National Laboratories.  Fiberglass batts for 2 x 6 framing are
rated at R-19 for the material, so that's less than half of the value
for a straw bale.  Oak Ridge tested frame walls insulated with
fiberglass batts, and measured R-values from a little over R-7 to
R-12.  As with the raw materials, a fiberglass-insulated frame wall
will yield less than half the insulative value of a strawbale wall."

I haven't figured out a way to say it more concisely, and still
convey the needed information.  Plenty of people have come up to me
and said, "I hear that strawbales are only R-30.  Since fiberglass is
R-19, why should I bother with bales?"  I think it takes a bit of
explanation to clarify the fallacies in that kind of statement.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...