GSBN:Re:[Esbn-techresearch] new compression tests?

Hannes Hohensinner hohensin@... wrote:
[snipped]
we are looking for the most recent compression tests of big bales.

Hannes et al;

Iâm wondering if your group has a copy of the 1996 Canadian tests (available from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca ) done on pre-stressed,two-string bale wall panels ?

The pre-stressing process mentioned in the 1996 report utilises the plaster mesh as the tensioning element (intiially using automobile scissors jacks and later using a pneumatically-pressurised rubber tube to apply tension to the mesh and pressure to the straw) thereby enabling one to pre-compress the SB wall panel (hence achieving higher density bales) to anticipate any desired load levels.

I'm not sure that the compression test data for monster bales would be of any relevance since the stress levels on the straw would be much lower due to the increased bearing area of the large bales.

That being said, the compression resistance of the straw becomes moot since it is ultimately the plaster skins which take all of the gravity loads and for slender walls, so it becomes a matter of designing lateral load resistive systems to ensure stability.

 --- * ---
Robert W. Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
rw_tom@...