Re: GSBN:Ask the Experts

Chris,

The answer has many angles ie the build ability of SB versus high mass building methods like adobe, the building physics angle, the sustainability angle, aesthetics and finally the SB community. The last aspect is to me a matter which is not appreciated very much if you look at it as just choosing a building technology like Dave is doing. Having the resources of the international SB network at hand is quite something. Although Dave gives the impression that he is quite confident he should do a little less reading and go to a workshop to get first hand experience with the SB community.

To me SB is more then just another building technology it is an attitude fueled by "straw power". Tapping into this resource is an empowering experience if you judge by the amount of successfully completed SB self build projects. Ok there are some failures but compare that to other self build techniques. In other fields like kit cars/aircraft nearly everyone will tell you that the community around a certain kit/manufacturer determines success or failure rate.

I could also just answer Daves question directly and say SB is most probably, given sufficient supply of building quality bales in Baja, the most efficient and sustainable building technique to create an energy efficient house. (I presume the use of earth/clay stucco)