-> Ask the Experts
     by Chris Magwood TLSEditor@...
-> Re: GSBN:Ask the Experts
     by Rene Dalmeijer rened@...

Date: 24 Jun 2003 12:54:39 -0500
From: Chris Magwood TLSEditor@...
Subject: Ask the Experts

Hello All,

Here's a question that arrived in the TLS mailbox. It's a common question
to field at TLS, but this time it's been put quite succinctly and I was
wondering if anybody out there (expecially any of you SW'murricans want to
take a stab at answering publicly in TLS.

Let me know!

Chris

Dear Editor,
In February of 2001, after thinking about building a natural building for
several years, I ordered 20 past subscriptions to the Last Straw as well as
a new membership which I continue to receive.  I read them all and was
totally sold on building a load bearing straw bale home.  Then I decided to
read about other types of natural construction and have since read 20 plus,
(every) book on the subject, including stone houses, adobe, rammed
earth,cob, earthship, etc.etc.
PS.   The best book I've read most recently, "The Natural Plaster Book" by
Cedar Rose Guelberth & Dan Chiras is a detailed description on how to
finish any and all of the above natural homes which brings me to this
e-mail today.  Because of my extensive reading, I feel that I could build
any of these style homes or even a combination thereof (in my sleep).  The
problem is, which one or combination there of would be best for me?  I live
in Southern Arizona but am looking to build in Mexico's Baja Norte which is
of similar climate.  Do I use straw bale because of the insulation
abilities, or adobe earth for thermal mass, or a combination thereof?  The
more I read the more I get confused and the longer it takes for me to begin
the actual project.
Does Last Straw have any writers that can help answer this question with my
region in mind, with explanations of why?

Sincere Regards,
Dave Adams

***************************

http://www.strawhomes.ca

The Last Straw Journal?
You should!
 http://www.thelaststraw.org

There may be important message content

- --============_-1155642847==_ma============

<<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>

- --============_-1155642847==_ma============

Here's a question that arrived in the TLS mailbox. It's a common
question to field at TLS, but this time it's been put quite succinctly
and I was wondering if anybody out there (expecially any of you
SW'murricans want to take a stab at answering publicly in TLS.

Let me know!

Chris

<smaller>Dear Editor,

[...]

</smaller></fontfamily>

</center>

<center>Chris Magwood / Camel's Back Straw Bale Construction

http://www.strawhomes.ca

<bold>The Last Straw Journal?

</bold>You should!

 http://www.thelaststraw.org</center>