Date: 4 Aug 2003 13:57:03 -0500
From: bainbridge bainbrid@...
Subject: Help : Bales and sound suppression

Can anyone help?

>Subject: Hay bales
>To: bainbridge bainbrid@...
>From: John_DiGregoria@...
>

>Dave,
>
>During your work with hay bales as building structures, did you come across
>or conduct any research regarding how hay bale walls will attenuate noise.
>We often require project proponents to construct noise attentuation
>structures to reduce noise impacts to sensitive wildlife and are looking
>for some research regarding straw bales.
>
>Thanks
>
>John DiGregoria
>Fish and Wildlife Biologist
- --
David A. Bainbridge
Environmental Studies Coordinator
CAS
Alliant International University
10455 Pomerado Road
San Diego, CA 92131

Fax (858) 635-4730	Ph (858) 635-4616

It is better to be crudely right than precisely wrong. Todd Neubauer
http://www.ases.org/about_ases/awards/passive_pioneer.htm

http://academic.alliant.edu/bainbridge/
ISIE	http://www.yale.edu/is4ie/
USSEE 	http://www.ussee.org/about/
http:SustainableSources.com
http://www.sddt.com/reports/2003/02/goinggreen/te.cfm

Date: 4 Aug 2003 17:15:39 -0500
From: Rene Dalmeijer rened@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Help : Bales and sound suppression

David,

I can't give you any measured numbers for un plastered bales maybe in the
future.

What I can give you is this Please take into careful consideration these
are preliminary results and not the final report.

The test has been done according to ISO 140-3 which is to determine the
sound isolation of a building member between 2 acoustically separated
chambers (the test sample is placed in an aperture between the chambers)

The SB sample consisted of:

- - Building quality bales ie density according to the codes. 450mm thick
- - Earth/clay plaster 25mm and 35mm (intentionally asymmetrical cover)
- - No reinforcing plaster nettting or mesh

The preliminary result is:

63Hz  30.9dB
125Hz 36.4dB
250Hz 36.1dB
500Hz 46.2dB
1000Hz 59.1dB
2000Hz 67.0dB
4000Hz 59.2dB

Sound sorption measurements have not been made.

At 08:32 PM 8/4/03, you wrote:
>Can anyone help?
>>From: John_DiGregoria@...
>>

>>Dave,
>>
>>During your work with hay bales as building structures, did you come across
>>or conduct any research regarding how hay bale walls will attenuate noise.
>>We often require project proponents to construct noise attentuation
>>structures to reduce noise impacts to sensitive wildlife and are looking
>>for some research regarding straw bales.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>John DiGregoria
>>Fish and Wildlife Biologist
>--

Rene Dalmeijer

I need to talk with you about the LA folks
And  . . . .  Your job prospects
bb

- ----

- ----