-> Re: (shells and milk)
     by Rene Dalmeijer rened@...

Date: 6 Aug 2003 09:12:37 -0500
From: Rene Dalmeijer rened@...
Subject: Re: (shells and milk)

Derek,

Thanks RT's observation is exactly what is happening. Although I must say
that I don't see the necessity of adding the cement milk. If it is required
it will not be strong enough to be of any value anyway or you have to use
hugely unsustainably thick layers of shells which will do the trick all by
themselves.

At 01:19 AM 8/6/03, you wrote:
>>I visualised the cement milk as being like a thin, watery paste
>>which  might only deposit itself on the points of contact bewteen
>>adjacent  shells
>
>unless surface tension could entrap and protect an air bubble.

I doubt if this is happening to an extensive scale. Part of the shell mass
consists of crushed fines effectively creating a wind break

>   I am now imagining such a sparse coating of cement milk, that it only
> forms a thin layer on the shells, and doesn't fill any spaces.  Could
> this be a part of the story- that the cement milk coats the shells
> somewhat like paint, and therefore sticks them together only at the
> tangential points of contact between the shells?
>
>And as my aviation instructor used to say, when you are flying in a
>properly designed aircraft, even if the engine fails, you will always be
>able to glide to the nearest available crash site.

As in its not the end result that counts but its about how you feel about it.

Greetings,

Rene Dalmeijer
Belly up and panting in the now cracked reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the
Rhine.

donate some food, press the button
http://www.thehungersite.com