GSBN:SB Registry Insurance info

Hi folks,

I'm sad to report that I've temporarily taking the list of insurance references from the Straw Bale Registry offline.

It seems that someone used a listed home in the registry as a reference in their attempt to get insurance with one of the larger home insurers, State Farm. The referenced home was insured by State Farm, and the owners had been completely on the level with them about the construction methods - the plans they submitted were even titled "Straw Bale Home".

When the new application came in, State Farm took their heads out of a certain dark place and decided to *drop* the insurance for the referenced home.

Rumor has it that they were also planning on going through the Registry and dropping any other bale homes that they insured. If you're currently covered by State Farm, I'd suggest getting your ducks in a row to change to another insurer, just in case.

This of course is exactly the opposite effect from what we had intended for the Registry. I'm *quite* disappointed by this development.

I'll be going through the code and removing the insurance company reference from the individual house listings next.

Should you need insurance information for your area, feel free to contact me. I'll be re-thinking how/whether I'll be allowing anyone to retrieve the insurance data in the future, though we'll continue to collect it for research and statistical purposes at the very least. (suggestions welcome).

For those of you who are new here, the Registry (http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com) is an attempt to collect and disseminate data about strawbale construction: where and when they've been built, by whom, using what construction techniques, who has mortgaged and insured them, what problems were encountered, and which ones are open to having visitors.

The registry currently lists 933 bale buildings in 19 countries, including 255 spread among 41 US states.

If you have built or designed a straw bale building, please consider listing it, and please encourage your friends in straw buildings to do the same.

http://sustainablesources.com/contact/