Date: 27 Aug 2003 09:25:38 -0500
From: Strawnet@...
Subject: RE: GSBN:SB Registry Insurance info

Hello all,

I've been silent for a while due to various commitments
(overcommitments?) and lack of support but I want to let you know that
I've been writing a couple of things related to State Farm and the
insurance issue in general and just haven't had time to complete them.
But they involve two approaches to this issue. First, a short-term direct
response to State Farm (though I have low expectations for swaying their
decision, they still need to be challenged on their assertions and claims
about sb construction). I am writing a draft response that I intend to
share as a starting point. We need to think strategically about who that
letter should be coming from - perhaps a national or international
coalition or pseudo-association - GSBN?

We might also think about warning them about restraint of trade issues
and slander in relation to what they say and do publicly about a
technology and budding industry that employs many people and has
potentially enormous direct benefit to the insurance sector in its
ability to address issues of global warming, climate change and the
attendent risks they pose to the insurance underwriting industry
worldwide), and that has been accepted by the building officials and
other agencies in the States of California, Oregon, and the majority of
building departments in Arizona, Colorado, Washington State, etc.

The second piece is something I was embarked upon years ago which is
making the bigger case that the insurance and reinsurance sectors are
blocking precisely the kind of changes that their future depends on,
given their risks related to climate change. There is a third thing that
I'll just say is looking into socially and environmentally conscious
insurance and financial funds for creating the kind of insurance agency
that we actually need and could all suppport.

I would write more but I have jury duty today and can't be late for it.
Just a heads up that I'm squeezing this into my already insane schedule
because I think I have some insights into ways to address this that might
help at least deal with the mid to long term aspects.

Thanks,

David

David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, AZ  85713
(520) 624-6628 voice / (520) 798-3701 fax
strawnet@...
http://www.dcat.net

The Development Center for Appropriate Technology is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization. Our primary support comes from foundation grants
and charitable contributions from individuals and businesses, and from
our educational and training programs and consulting services. Our
mission is to enhance the health of the planet and our communities by
promoting a shift to sustainable construction and development practices
through leadership, strategic relationships, and education. To learn
about DCAT's work and how you can support it, please visit our website at
www.dcat.net