RE: GSBN:Mechanical Systems in Commercial SB building

Jeff,

This sounds like the brother of our neighbor, who runs Straw House
coffee....

Part of the difficulty (as you probably know) is that the input and formulas
used for sizing mechanical systems are relatively crude, and so doesn't
account very successfully for the integration of insulation, mass and solar
orientations.  We use computer simulations, primarily Energy 10, to model
energy use, and invariably come out with a lower requirement.  This can be
used to persuade the ME to downsize the system.  We've taken the approach
that if the ME is concerned about the system operating efficiently, then he
should take the trouble to understand the actual energy requirements and
size the system appropriately.

A second approach is for the client to simply ask for the most stupid/simple
design that will pass code.  The client can downsize the appliances
according to an understanding of the actual energy requirements of the
building.

Hope this helps,

John