-> Re: SB  Straw Bale in Iraq
     by huffnpuff huffnpuff@...
-> Re: SB Straw Bale in Iraq
     by Derek Roff derek@...

Date: 14 Nov 2003 01:34:16 -0500
From: huffnpuff huffnpuff@...
Subject: Re: SB  Straw Bale in Iraq

G 'day Balers

Currently in Adelaide building with Paul Downton number 4 SB town house 500
yards from the GPO. So I am away from Ganmain and finding it hard to keep up
with all the emails.

Can any of you help Geoff Lawton with this request?

Regards The Straw Wolf

Reply to Geoff at:  permacul@...

Hi John
            I am chasing after some statistics to re-inforce the
credibility of straw bale as a building technique.  The UN maybe
interested in some big projects in Iraq 650 to 950 houses in each
village, so we are talking about jumping up a scale.  I definitely will
not be able to handle all of this, so if it happens I will be handing
most of it off to people with experience and stay involved from a
permaculture village design aspect.
Unfortunately you always have some critics to get passed (some may have
investments in cement block company#025#s).

We have to write this in our own words but we can reference websites
but if you know or know where I might to be able to access statistics
of the numbers of SB houses have been built and where, where they are
approved, anything that gives the system credibility, or just point us
in a possible direction, it would be a great help.

Cheers Geoff and Nadia

Most convincing to the UN might be their own SB projects in China and
Mongolia, many of which were Kelly Lerner was involved in.  I don't
know what documentation is available, but a web search reveals the
following info on Kelly:

Kelly Lerner , One World Design
Domestic and International Design and Consulting
925 Avis Drive, El Cerrito, CA 94530
510-528-3765 fax:510-528-8763
klerner@...
www.one-world-design.com

Derek

> Reply to Geoff at:  permacul@...
>
> Hi John
>             I am chasing after some statistics to re-inforce the
> credibility of straw bale as a building technique.  The UN maybe
> interested in some big projects in Iraq 650 to 950 houses in each
> village, so we are talking about jumping up a scale.  I definitely
> will not be able to handle all of this, so if it happens I will be
> handing most of it off to people with experience and stay involved
> from a permaculture village design aspect. Unfortunately you always
> have some critics to get passed (some may have investments in
> cement block company#025#s).
>
> We have to write this in our own words but we can reference
> websites but if you know or know where I might to be able to access
> statistics of the numbers of SB houses have been built and where,
> where they are approved, anything that gives the system
> credibility, or just point us in a possible direction, it would be
> a great help.
>
> Cheers Geoff and Nadia

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...