Date: 15 Nov 2003 13:52:23 -0500
From: Kelly Lerner klerner@...
Subject: Straw Bale in Iraq

>Hi John and all,
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) has built over 600
straw-bale houses in rural communities in six provinces in China over the
past six years. We started with one school building in 1998 and grew the
project from there. We've worked in partnership with local governments and
owners (some owner-builders) providing project management support, design
training, technical support and partial construction funding. I've served
as a project manager, technical consultant, trainer - Jill-of-all-trades
depending on what was needed. You can see a few photos on my web site,
http://www.one-world-design.com and I can send you a power point
presentation with more photos and details if you like. Just let me know
where to send it (over the net or a CD). Good luck on your project there.
Let me know if you need technical support.

Also I've moved up the inland northwest (yea, four seasons!). Here's my new
contact info:

Kelly Lerner
One World Design
744 West 12th Ave.
Spokane, WA 99204
Office 509-838-8812
Fax     509-838-8806
klerner@...
http://www.one-world-design.com

>Date: 14 Nov 2003 01:34:16 -0500
>From: huffnpuff huffnpuff@...
>Subject: Re: SB  Straw Bale in Iraq
>

>Hi John
>             I am chasing after some statistics to re-inforce the
>credibility of straw bale as a building technique.  The UN maybe
>interested in some big projects in Iraq 650 to 950 houses in each
>village, so we are talking about jumping up a scale.  I definitely will
>not be able to handle all of this, so if it happens I will be handing
>most of it off to people with experience and stay involved from a
>permaculture village design aspect.
>Unfortunately you always have some critics to get passed (some may have
>investments in cement block company#025#s).
>
>We have to write this in our own words but we can reference websites
>but if you know or know where I might to be able to access statistics
>of the numbers of SB houses have been built and where, where they are
>approved, anything that gives the system credibility, or just point us
>in a possible direction, it would be a great help.
>
>Cheers Geoff and Nadia

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design
http://www.one-world-design.com