-> Re: GSBN:Whole House Truss System - SB
     by billc_lists@...
-> Re: GSBN:Whole House Truss System - SB
     by Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...

Date: 23 Jan 2004 00:19:14 -0600
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Whole House Truss System - SB

At 1:33 PM -0600 1/22/04, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>There once was an architect names George Swanson in Fairfield, Iowa, who was
>using a whole house truss system for straw-bale construction. Does anyone
>have anything current about George Swanson and the whole house truss system?
>
>Any help or referrals will be greatly appreciated!

Yes, George is a neighbor of mine. I don't think he's officially an
architect, btw.

George always has some intriguing ideas, but implementation is
sometimes a little short of the mark.  He's left a number of clients
unhappy. I'll spare you the stories.

I'm not familiar with the whole-house truss you speak of.

One of his current favorites is to use those metal faced SIP-like
panels from commercial walk-in refrigerator manufacturers as the
entire roof - structure, ceiling, insulation, and exterior in one
easy to install set of panels, with no trusses or other muss or fuss.
Neat idea.

It's not a perfect system though. Owners have complained about leaks
between the panels (there's a lot of expansion and contraction on a
roof in general, and the texas sun is not kind.). According to one
resident, there are gaps between the roof and wall that he can see
sunlight through.  That might just be bad detailing.  A local
architect noted that the foam used tends to get brittle with heat,
and wondered about the long term ability of such a roof to stay up by
itself.  And the manufacturer advises putting actual metal roofing
over the panels, as they're not intended for use as roofing
themselves (George doesn't do that).

So it's an interesting idea, and possibly one with potential, but
there are a number of questions unanswered.  Nothing new there I
guess.

George's website is http://www.geoswan.com . I don't know if there's
anything about either roofing system on his site.

- --
Bill Christensen
http://sustainablesources.com/contact/