-> ISBBC 2004. Email update no 2 - February 27th, 2004
     by "Lars Keller" larskeller@...

Date: 27 Feb 2004 01:16:08 -0600
From: "Lars Keller" larskeller@...
Subject: ISBBC 2004. Email update no 2 - February 27th, 2004

Email-update no 2. February 27, 2004.

ISBBC 04   FRILAND - DENMARK
Education - The Next Generation

A few forums have been initiated since 1st update, and there is more
information on the price.

It is our intention to keep you updated via emails regularly untill June, when
the ISBBC happens.
Feel free to forward to your friends and colleagues.

If you do not want to be on this emaillist then please contact us.
We excuse for any crossposting.

Best ISBBC wishes
Jo, Lars & Thomas.

~~~

AIM OF THE ISBBC 04

The ISBBC 2004 in Friland, Denmark, is for people who are in any way involved
(or want to be involved) in strawbale construction & natural building. It is
an opportunity to renew connections and to create new networks, to exchange
information and to celebrate !

The conference will feature a variety of workshops going beyond strawbale
building.
Via facilitated forums on issues such as "education in building", "women and
building", and "The socio-economic impacts of lowcost living" we hope to bring
in fresh energy and new ideas to the strawbale world.
The spirit of the whole ISBBC is to encourage, educate and inspire the present
and - particularly - the next generation of builders.

DETAILS

More Information
Any information about the ISBBC 04 is on www.thelaststraw.org For example
about registering, joining the mailing list, checking the latest changes, etc.
The homepage is about to updated.

Contact
isbbc@...

Registration Fee
The ISBBC is at the moment being organized without any funding, based purely
on volunteer work. Furthermore there is no organization to cover any debt. As
we are still at a relatively early stage - we do for example not know how many
participants will attend the gathering - we do have to be relatively
conservative regarding the registration fee.
If at some point we will receive funding, this will be used to make the ISBBC
more readily available for people from regions that are generally considered
poor in economic terms.
We encourage you to research individual funding and sponsorship in your own
region. If you find information of potential use for other participants we can
make this available on the website under registration.

The registration fee ranges between 350 & 500 Euro, depending on your choice
of accommodation. The registration fee covers:
Accommodation sunday 13th to friday 18th inclusive
Meals from breakfast monday 14th to lunch saturday 19th inclusive
Transport between Kalo Skolerne and Friland
Morning workshops, afternoon forums, evenings, the mid-week party, the "Job
Centre", the conference book & the post-conference cd-ROM.
The fee is still subject to changes.

Registration Form
Registration can only be done via www.thelaststraw.org
We aim at having the form up and runnning by March 15th.

Conference locations:
Friland This is the workshop location during the conference. Friland is an
intentional community in the village of Feldballe ("field bale") approximately
35km northeast of Arhus. Friland is a showcase of different strawbale building
techniques and the use of clay plasters, mussel shells, and a variety of
renewable energy techniques. For more info visit www.dr.dk/friland/index_english.htm
(English)

Kalo Skolerne This is where accommodation, most meals, afternoon forums as
well as the evening programme will take place. Kalo Skolerne are a fusion of
two schools: an organic farming school and a language folkhighschool. It is
located one km away from Ronde, overlooking the beautiful Kalo Bay and the
Kalo Castle ruins, and is 7 km from Friland. For more info visit www.kalo.dk
(English)

Families & Children
If enough people with young children are coming, we will do all we can to
create a space for them, a workshop, and facilitate a way that parents can
share childcare responsibilities.

Pre-conference opportunities at Friland
Come early to the ISBBC and help prepare workshops, set up the conference
infrastructure etc ! Guaranteed swimming and cakes at the lake.
For more details please email us, limited spaces !!!

The ISBBC 2004 is being organised by members of:
Straw Bale Builders World Wide UnLtd
the European Strawbale Building Network
the Danish Clay- & Straw Building Network
and Friland

~~~

THE CONFERENCE

International Straw Bale Building Conference 2004, Friland, Denmark
Education - the next generation
June 13 - 19

The overall aim of the conference is to strengthen the community, to promote
natural building, and to facilitate a new generation of builders.

MORNING WORKSHOPS
Aim to cover different aspects of building an energy-efficient, comfortable
and beautiful straw-bale building.

Between breakfast and lunch, located at Friland.
The workshops will be designed according to the experience level of the
participants, with the possibility of more than one workshop on a given topic.

Workshop list (as of February 19th)
Pre-fab walls (confirmed)
SB wall raising (confirmed)
Compressed Earth Bricks - wall building (confirmed)

Lime plastering - (yet to be confirmed)
The Danish heavy duty clay sprayers (confirmed - and no - it is not a band)
Hand plastering & finishes (confirmed)

Seaweed roofing - (confirmed)
Shingles - (yet to be confirmed)
Thatching - (confirmed)

Mass oven building - (confirmed)
Solar heaters - self-builder workshop (confirmed)

Food storage - building of an all winter food storage (yet to be confirmed)
Permaculture design as an aid in house design (confirmed)
Children only workshop - (confirmed)

AFTERNOON FORUMS
Aim to develop, strengthen and guide the current direction of the strawbale
world.

Between lunch and dinner, located at Kalo Skolerne.
Each forum will have an appointed facilitator and a rapporteur.
The facilitator will have personal topic-experience, and will guide and
inspire.
The rapporteur will write a summary to be included in the post-conference
cdROM.
By having several forums it is our intention to break down the amount of
participants in each forum to such a small number that the forums will be
participatory instead of one-way-talks.

Forum list (as of February 19th)
Being an apprentice strawbale builder - (confirmed)
How to run workshops / The learning process - (under construction)
Networks - how to start them and how to keep them going - (yet to be
confirmed)
Participatory design process - (under development)
The socio-economic impacts of lowcost living - (confirmed)
TLS - where it's going and where it could go - (confirmed)
Women and building - (confirmed)

EVENINGS
After dinner at Kalo Skolerne

Sunday 13th
Opening reception (light refreshments, but there is no dinner on sunday 13th)

Monday 14th
Opening key-note speak - the grand overview of education within Natural
Building - (not yet confirmed)

Tuesday 15th
"free roaming evening 1"
There is no common agenda for this evening. We are offering the following.
- - Introduction of the Job Centre - this is where you book in on different
building projects for the Summer of Building
- - To help initiate new national networks experienced facilitators will be
ready to pass on experience
- - ...

Wednesday 16th
The party evening

Thursday 17th
"free roaming evening 2"
There is no common agenda for this evening. We are offering the following.
- - the Job Centre is open
- - network building can continue
- - ...

Friday 18th
Closing key-note speak - the future - (confirmed)

Saturday 19th
No evening planned this far. Although...      (more later on
www.thelaststraw.org)

THE STRAW TOURS
June 7 - 13

The Conference commences with two house-tour convoys which will collect
participants from different countries (including England, France, Germany and
Austria), and tour around Europe for one week. The convoy will make stops at
buildings and educational institutions along the way.

You can join the convoys by riding the bus or driving your own car. The routes
of the convoys are still under development. At the moment one starts in Eire
and one in Norway. Both end at Friland. (more later on www.thelaststraw.org)

THE SUMMER OF BUILDING

Hands on Experience
June 20 and onward

To honor and strengthen the theme of the conference, we are organizing a
"Summer of Building", with the aim of offering many young people a
high-quality learning experience in different natural building methods.

The Summer of Building is an opportunity for young people to gain more
experience in straw-bale building. During the conference, participants will
have access to an 'Job Centre' covering a number of natural building sites to
happen from June 2004 onward. A scheme (Hands for Knowledge) is set up to
facilitate the exchange of time for experience, so you can choose from a
variety of building projects that you'd like to work on during the summer.

Post-conference Summer of Building goings-on at Friland
We will be participating in the Summer of Building here at Friland. The most
obvious project will be to finish off anything left incomplete from the
workshops. There will also be houses at different stages of construction to be
working on.

Hosting a Summer of Building site.
Are you interested in teaching someone how to build ? The Summer of Building
will be run according to the Hands for Knowledge scheme, where a fair day's
work is exchanged for teaching, food and accommodation. If you are
undertaking, or involved in a building project from the 20th of June onward
(either northern or southern hemispheres) and are interested in teaching
skills to enthusiastic students, then please include yourself in our register,
even if you're not sure of the details yet.

Participating in the Summer of Building
If you don't think that you can make it to the ISBBC, but you'd still like to
do the Summer of Building, stay tuned in on the website for further
developments. Our aim is for this project to continue beyond the summer of
2004.

And last...
Please pass on this information.
... friends, nieces, colleagues ...