David Eisenberg

From:   solarbale@...(Ed Dunn)
To: Strawnet@...
David;

I have a question for you, and if you don't know the answer, could you
forward the message to others?

I have a house that was finished one year ago.  Stucco was completed
about Jan, 2003.  The client has had a problem with a bug infestation.
They have tried different conventional pest control techniques but to
no avail.  I seems that the bugs (Larger Pale Booklouse; Troglum
puisotorium [or puisatorium]) accumulate (dead) near the base board
where pesticide has been sprayed.
The walls are well sealed at joints and transistions to ceilings,
walls, windows and doors, and have been painted with three coats of
latex paint.  It is obvious to me that they are living in the straw
bale walls.  The description of this insect states that it "lives and
feeds on seed borne fungi and grain dust."   "Can be found in large
numbers in aging bulk storage."  I have suggested to him to super heat
the house to dry the walls out but right now we are in the middle of
the monsoon season and the humidity is currently 46%.  We may be more
likely to pull moisture in than drive it out.
Pyrethrum is another thought.  We could drill holes in the interior
stucco and spray it in but I don't know if it should be in liquid or
powder form.  I don't even know if it kills them.  Also I wonder what
the hole spacing should be.
Any thoughts on buggy straw bale walls?  This is the first time I have
heard of this.

I have been quite busy, I have finished two places, am almost finished
with a greenhouse/barn and we are in the middle of doing some earth and
lime plasters on another on.  We are getting ready to start Star School
using the panelized straw bale system developed by Chris Magwood.

Thanks;

--Ed

David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, AZ  85726-7513
(520) 624-6628 voice / (520) 798-3701 fax
strawnet@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.dcat.net";>http://www.dcat.net</a>

"Truly appropriate technology is technology that ordinary people
can use for their own benefit and the benefit of their community
that doesn't make them dependent on systems over which they have
no control."             John F.C. Turner