From: "Catherine Wanek" blackrange@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Cc: mfhammer@...
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:German strawbale work and +++ Codes Discussion on GSBN
Listserve

Hi All --
  I understand and agree with Dirk that it's appropriate for their current
needs to work on the German code issues without necessarily involving the
whole GSBN.  Having just returned from travelling in Europe, I'm very
sensitized to the issues and challenges of translation....

Perhaps Rene Dalmeijer -- who speaks several languages -- can periodically
give us a English update on the German discussions.  And the GSBN could be
considered as a resource to this discussion, if there are specific needs.

Here in the U.S., CASBA member architect Martin Hammer is currently
"hammering out" some new potential California strawbale code language that
starts from scratch...... utilizing the results of the recent tests
undertaken by Bruce King's Ecological Building Network.   When he and the
group working on this code are ready, I suggest that they present it to the
GSBN, too, for a sort of peer review.

I'm positive we will all benefit by viewing the approaches taken from
different perspectives, and vice versa.  And yet we don't all need to read
and translate every exchange.

best regards,
Catherine Wanek

At 08:19 PM 8/11/04 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Rene Dalmeijer and the rest of the sb-world,
>Now several weeks after the ISBBC, I'm realising that I will not be able
>to do powerful work with our decided system to have exchange about
>(european) technical approval (ETA- Hi CIA;-)) on GSBN. I'm sorry,
>perhaps it's a question of language (writing this email took more than
>one hour) , perhaps I've to much to do with my building-projects, may be
>it's my feeling, that I only want to discuss subjects with a small
>intentional group of people, for me GSBN is to big and unfortunately
>still very anonymous. (Rene, you remember our small disagreement
>according to this during the ISBBC-ETA-Forum?). In addition to that, I
>feel that some of my words below should be handled a little bit secret,
>as you will agree.
>
>So, what I do in this moment, is working on our national (german)
>approval of strawbales as a building material. Therefore we need to do
>additional tests of mould-behaviour and to describe a quality-safe
>process of producing good building strawbales. To proof the absence of
>fungus/mould in every kind of our choosen type of construction we will
>do calculated simulations with WUFI-Bio, a special Version of this
>wellknown software. Also we'll install two temperature and humidity
>measurement-systems in existing sb-buildings. (Please do not
>misunderstand: I know, that straw is a good stuff but the authorities
>are calling for verifications)
>
>My intention to initiate the ISBBC-ETA-Forum was not to discuss with the
>hole world but solve our special european problem with the rigid rules
>testing the flammibility of straw(bales). Straw in this moment
>definitely fails the european flammability/ ignatability test!!!! (the
>test, which is valid more or less in the future of every european
>country). In this case there will be no! chance of a broad coming up of
>strawbale construction in EU-future. In contrast to that straw tightly
>passes the german flammability test but unfortunately fails the german
>fungus-test. The european fungus-test again is not so rigorous, so our
>chance in germany is, that german goverment allows us to combine the
>european fungus-test with the german approval. In this moment it looks
>like they will agree.
>
>In addition to this we are working on a much bigger project: A
>loadbaring strawbale system for german conditions. Therefore we probably
>need to modify the existing american style. I will present a draft of it
>here soon. We are calculating with costs between 100 and 300 thousands
>EUR (a 200 sqm building prototype incl.). But fortunately there is a
>number sources for money to finance sustainable work in germany.
>
>Besides all that stuff, I would be very glad to have some exchange/
>support from experts arround the world.
>
>Thats it:-)
>
>Dirk Scharmer
>
>PS.: And for the most of you, who doesn't know our work, please have a
> [...]

--- This list does not allow attachments or HTML mail.  ---
---The notes below outline what was removed. ---

=====================Deze e-mail is door E-mail Virus Scan van Het Net
gecontroleerd op virussen. Zie voor meer informatie:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.hetnet.nl/evs/";>http://www.hetnet.nl/evs/</a>