Re: GSBN:strawbalebuildings in tropic clima

Hi,

I very much appreciate your way of looking at mold in a given climate.

But other than the beauty of SB/plaster I see no reason to prefer SB in a climate that is basicly warm/hot year round with little temperature difference between day and night. (+ humid during long periods). And I certainly would stay away from high mass techniques.

The buildings I liked in Northen Queensland often have little more than wooden cladding, lots of shade (Veranda) and lots of ventilation. Sound insulation makes more sense to me than Thermal insulation (if neigbours are close).

Sylvia, comming from Germany might have some difficulty forgetting freezing winters when thinking of her new home.

Then again, myself I never lived in warm/hot climates for more than 6 months either.

I can only suggest Sylvia to go to Pannama, rent a place for a while and think ponder a while.

Ciao,
Andr?

> Hi Sylvia
>
> Chris here from the tropics of Queensland, Australia
>
> Queensland runs from 10degrees south of the equator to 28degrees south of
> the equator (it's a big place). Panama is 8 degrees north of the equator. So
> I will compare you to the most northern costal area of Queensland. The
> summers in the north are very wet with the monsoons, very high humidity and
> high temperature and the occasional cyclone.
>
> What you have to look at with SB is that the wetting potential which must
> equal the drying potential of the wall. I tell people in the tropics to look
> at their environment for the answer. If you are finding that through the
> summer that mould and fungi is growing over your furnishings, curtains,
> shoes, building etc (as it does) then it can be fair to say that it will
> also grow in your SB walls. Remember also that rot will occur a lot faster
> in a high humidity with high temperature then it will in a high humidity
> with a low temperature.
>
> So you need to consider how you can reduce your wetting potential during
> your summer when the humidity is so high for so long that you have a very
> poor drying potential. You will need very wide veranda, you may consider
> using a cladding over your external walls (over the earth rendered SB wall).
> Again look at your local environment for the answer. Are large verandas in
> the local buildings enough to protect the traditional buildings from
> moisture and rot. Also have a look at the historic buildings of the area,
> are there other local, natural materials that are tolerant of this climate -
> ? sand bags. When in doubt start small - build yourself a shed and buy
> yourself a moisture probe.
>
> Regards Chris
> www.newtonhouse.info

Acc?dez au courrier ?lectronique de La Poste : www.laposte.net ;
3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34&#xA5;/mn) ; t?l : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34&#xA5;/mn)