Re: GSBN:Danish Testing on SB walls

Hello,

greetings also from Pascal Thepaut. He is rather busy in co-creating a small community with 8 strawbalehouses to be built next spring near Dinan in Brittany.

Like to share with some aspect of lime stuccoing and ask you some insights on floor insulation for my dream project next year in Brittany.

1) For those who use lime from St. Astier (www.stastier.co.uk) which is available in different countries.

St. Astier NHL2  is composed of 55-60% airlime and the rest hydraulic lime. Use sharp sand:
1. layer 1,5 parts of sand (2mm)  and 1 part of lime (drying period at good weather about 10 days)

2. layer 2 parts of sand (2-4mm) and 1 part of lime

3. layer 3 parts of sand (4mm) and 1 part of lime

Stucco in total 30 mm.

Test: after 4 month continious rain 10 mm of the lime stucco will get wet and it never will rain 4 month continously...

The lime expert at St. Astier already was familiar with applying lime on strawbales and says consequently the salt at the sea nearby (100m) will not enter more than 1 cm into the stucco. Would you agree?

2) Beside using wooden I-beams for the roof (Fermacell gipsonplate between I-beams, dipped strawbales on Fermacell, 2 cm lime stucco, dampopen foil, 5 cm air, 1cm wood and slate tyles) I think of the following floor construction:

Prefab concrete steel reinforced beams on the foundation 50 cm above groundlevel (necessary for the required septic tank, its overflow has to be 45 cm above the ground due to the rocky surface and a needed sandlayer of 70 cm and 10 cm gravel). Between reinforced beams prefab "bio-briques" which is baked tone with lots of air in between. On that 4 cm beton or would rammed earth be an option?

Than: strawbales on this beton (there is airventilation underneath). On the strawbales a metal net connected with floorheating tubes and on that 7 cm beton and floortyles.

I would be interested in longterm experiences if there are any or suggestions improving that floating or maybe better hanging floor, especially in view on moisture from underneath. If the ground (vegetal level) becomes wet, some damp will touch the bio-briques. Is there any formula to calculate the openings for natural ventilation? The surface is 80 m2. The airspace between the briques and the groundlevel can be between 20 and 50 cm. What's wise for keeping the strawbales as floorinsulation forever dry?

Thanks and best wishes,

Martin Oehlmann

Den Haag

0031-70-3650410

PS: For those who know Moulin du Roz: the wheel turns perfectly. Its just WONDERFUL!