-> RE: GSBN:Danish Testing on SB walls
     by jfstraube@...

Date: 9 Oct 2004 09:42:19 -0600
From: jfstraube@...
Subject: RE: GSBN:Danish Testing on SB walls

Hi Chris!

I donwnloaded the wonderful reports and looked through them, including
the Danish ones (I can read a bit of it)
I am too busy to write an article, but for what its worth, some comments
They found that the thermal conductivity of straw was in line with
measurements (k=.052-0.056) which is R2.75/inch in Murrican units

The measured heat flow through the full size bale wall, however, was
lower than predicted from the material conductivity measurements, ie.,
an 18" wall did not have an R value of 18*2.75.  In fact it was much
lower -- they got about R28-R30.  This is still very good, but it could
be better, up to R45 or R50.  The reason for the discrepancy is
believed, on good evidence, to be airflow looping around within the
bales. This reinforces the need to use well packed bales with no airgaps
anywhere -- packed full of clay straw or highly compacted straw.

They tested full size walls with warm humid conditions on the inside and
cool outside conditions showed that after several months the MC of the
straw could rise to 20% or so but would dry quickly. (My note, this is
what computer models tell us and what we have seen in monitoring).  They
also showed that allowing airleakage from inside to out under these
conditions will cause dangerous increases in MC.  They therefore
recommend (duh) that the interior layter be made as airtight as
possible. The lime plaster wall seemed to exhibit lower MC, which is
likley because the permeance tests showed it was less permeable than the
clay (eg less vapor got into the lime plaster wall from the interior).

They tested ten types of lime and earth plaster, with and without water
repellent treatments.  The vapor permeance of these ranged from about
300 to 650 metric perms (divide by 57.3 to get US perms) for a sample 40
mm thick.  This means they are not vapor barriers by code definitions
and do allow significant drying -- thinner layers would allow more to
pass through but are difficult to build. These are essentially identical
results to what we got when we tested them.  I have not dug deep into
the details yet.

Straw itself has a high vapor permeance (no surprise) about similar to
the equivalent thickness of still air.  Essentially vapor goes through
SB like shit through a goose.

They tested walls with a high load on them for 2 years.  Settling was
limited to about 3 mm (surprisingly little), with sizeable variations
due to relative humdity swings (not a surprise)

Hope this helps a bit

John Straube
School of Architecture and Dept of Civil Engineering
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Canada
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/beg";>http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/beg</a>