RE: GSBN:Re: Moisture in SBW

Hi Danny
Sorry to hear of these problems but as John Straube has also said, it can
happen in any house whatever it's made from. We've had to repair damp in
some buildings over here. The main thing is that you've had a good look at
where it is and what's causing it.
So I agree the main issue is to put an overhang on the roof, and possibly a
pitch as well, flat roofs are notorious for letting in the weather.
The elastomeric stucco - that must be a coating on the top? I would hesitate
to sand blast it as you may lose some of the straw as well. We've taken
plaster off straw using heavy hammers and claws, you can scrape it out of
the straw - but we plaster directly onto straw, was a metal coat used here?
But I would take out all the sills and put a damp proof course under them,
paying attention to laying it up the sides, in agreement with John here. If
the sill is laid onto straw and not onto cement then you can scrape out a
slot in which to insert the damp proof course without removing the sill.
With the stucco a breathable flexible plaster would be better, either lime
or clay with limewash. Cracking in rigid plasters like cement, which then
let in moisture, is a common problem. But you will always have the problem
of stucco onto the cement horizontals. I'm not surprised the cement is as
wet or wetter than the straw. It is what we call a 'wet' material and we
wouldn't be able to get away with it here in the UK. If there is any
moisture in the walls it will tend to be drawn to the cement.
Your best bet is to take the stucco off in the area of damp, take out any
obviously wet bales and replace them (it's not as bad as it sounds, we've
successfully replaced bales in a loadbearing house). If you want to dry the
walls out without replacing straw then we did it on one house by making
holes the whole width of the wall in the areas of greatest moisture, and
letting a drying wind blow through it. This can only be done in the drying
season! Winter is not a good time to take the stucco off- maybe leave this
part of the repair till spring/summer? Make sure you deal with all the damp,
then replaster.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Best wishes
Barbara Jones