-> Re: GSBN:Danny Buck's SB water problem- flashing
     by Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...

Date: 28 Oct 2004 04:58:35 -0600
From: Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Danny Buck's SB water problem- flashing

Et al,

In German speaking countries specifically Germany and Austria metal
flashing is quite common. I also know it is used in Sweden so it might also
be common in the rest of Scandinavia maybe even in the rest of Northern
Europe although I have no actual experience seeing it there whilst visiting.

The type of flashing I am talking about forms a folded tub exhibiting the
properties David Eisenberg explained. To me the following are important:

1) The sill extends about 20mm (3/4') past the buck into the plaster.
2) The upright folded ends are about 20-30mm (3/4-1.25') high
3) The plaster is kept off the bottom of the sill by at least 5mm (1/4')
(The gap is usually caulked)
4) The back end of the sill is at least 25mm (1') below the bottom of the
wooden sill it has a high upright edge. It is very common to have this much
higher I have seen up to 50mm (2')
5) The front edge projects about 15-20mm past the plaster. (NOT more)
6) The sill slopes only slightly 1:10-1:5
7) All joints are folded ie the sill is not an extruded profile but sheet
material.
8) The material whatever metal is THIN > 1mm or about (1/32')

I have personal experience with this type of sill flashing and can vouch
for its effectivity in combination with plasters. Point 8 is very important
this allows the flashing to flex thus avoiding cracking of the plaster
around the outside edges.

Regarding the type of metal; I don't really have a strong preference but
the following are some considerations and options.

Titanium Zinc: This is mainly Zinc with a bit of titanium to stiffen it up.
This works well and is easy to get here in the reclaimed swamp (Holland).
It is also very easy material to work with.
Copper: Used to be a favorite but is now loosing favour because of copper
leaching quite extensive here because of acid rain. Many countries now
disallow the use of copper because of this.
Aluminium: Needs to be malleable to allow folding
Coated steel: preferably a double coat consisting of zinc with some kind of
paint often epoxy based.

The last is the option I have extensive experience with. It holds up very
well is very thin less then 0.5mm. The main issue though is it tends to be
noisy with rain dripping on it. This also applies to the aluminium solution.

At 08:27 PM 10/27/04, Derek wrote:
>I like copper flashing.  I have read that in the San Francisco Bay area,
>the copper levels in the water are a concern.  I haven't heard of this
>being an issue in any other location, but as always, checking local
>conditions is essential to making informed, site specific choices.

Greetings,

Rene Dalmeijer
Keeping the under sills dry in the reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the Rhine.

donate some food, press the button
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.thehungersite.com";>http://www.thehungersite.com</a>