Re: GSBN:TLS News

At 09:01 PM 11/1/04 -0600, Joyce wrote:
............. we will be sharing more information about the
buildings we visited on the convoy tours prior to ISBBC and from the theory
sessions and topical forums at ISBBC, so anyone wanting to help us follow up
and get this moving forward should get in touch with Chris Magwood ........

Hi Joyce and Chris --  I would be happy to help out with photographs, so
let me know what buildings and/or topics will be covered -- and what the
timeframe is.

Personally I was quite impressed with the load-bearing "jumbo bale" work
that Werner Schmidt is doing -- his approach and the photos are
awesome.   Also the way he has the wooden structural "elements" built in
the shop, then transported to the site, and assembled along with the bales
-- via a construction crane....  I could perhaps write a short piece about
that, though Werner might prefer to write it himself.  I suggest he would
also make a great interview!

Also, the three-story SB Cafe near Oslo (glimpsed in the TLS World Tour
issue) is a remarkable structure, with many interesting elements including
the green sod roof with birch bark membrane, intricately designed clay
floor, lovely clay plasters, and wooden shingles (ala the Norwegian stave
church) on the onion dome.

And of course on that Tuesday in Belgium we all enjoyed Herwig van Soom's
contemporary SB home, with the simple shed roof structure elevated above
the SB walls (creating a roof-top living space), as well as Mark Dupree's
design of the round teachers' lounge on metal posts with play space below
and a green roof above.

For careful construction and detailing, you can't beat the German buildings
-- the amazing 3-story "Stropolis" which will be an "apartment" building
for the Seiben Linden ecovillage (designed by Dirk Scharmer).... and
Mattias Boernish's (sp?) lovely 2-story duplex rentals.  Both of these
structures have clay plaster inside and out, plus solar PV & hot
water.  One of the things that impressed me was how they built the
floor/ceiling interface to eliminate sound transfer between stories.

Not to leave out the lovely lime-plastered round and spiral houses in
Ireland, or the super-low-cost round hobbit-homes in Wales.... come to
think of it, the whole tour was inspiring and wonderful in its
diversity.  Thanks once again goes to Barbara Jones & Bee Rowen, and Rene
Dalmeijer who did the challenging work of organizing and herding the
participants through the tight schedule.....

We will also be developing articles based on "hot topics" from the GSBN
discussions, so here's your chance to have your say or share information on
any aspects of strawbale and natural building, and to contribute to these
issues!        Thanks for your continued support and help!  Joyce

Yes.... I had been thinking that the recent discussion begun by Danny Buck
on moisture problems in the "baleblock" house would go a long way to
illuminating these issues for homes in general.  Perhaps this would fit
well in TLS #50 on Design...... as a "school of hard knocks" story.

Keep up the great work, Joyce and Chris!

Best regards,
Catherine Wanek

Black Range Films &
Natural Building Resources
119 Main St. , Kingston, NM 88042
505-895-3389 / fax 505-895-3326
blackrange@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalecentral.com";>http://www.strawbalecentral.com</a>

--- This list does not allow attachments or HTML mail.  ---
---The notes below outline what was removed. ---