Re: GSBN:Re: Danny Buck's moisture NM

My feelings these days are that under no circumstance should we allow
moisture to enter a straw bale wall in any form from the inside or the
outside.  Why take a chance on the moisture finding it's way out of a
wall?  Therefore I am of the opinion that we should make sure that
moisture in vapour or solid form cannot get into a bale wall.  Therefore
we should treat the finished coat of render accordingly and use methods
and materials that will give a water proof wall from BOTH sides.

I think John raises an interesting issue here. I've always stuck by
the breathable argument, and have seen some surprising examples of
drying taking place this way after significant soakings. But I, like
John, don't want to leave it to this process entirely.

I have lately been experimenting with silicate paints (from Eco-House
in New Brunswick). They claim an excellent water repellancy (is that
a word?) and little effect on breathability. I can attest to the
repellant qualities... even on earthen plasters water will bead and
roll off. But does anybody know for sure if the breathability is as
good as is claimed? If so, I think the silicate paints are something
that could be widely promoted for straw bale. They seem to be
relatively non-toxic (again, based on manufacturer claims) and
created with natural materials, the colours are excellent, the cost
is reasonable... Seems like it could be an excellent solution to one
of our biggest concerns, and an easy one too, if it works like it
seems to work.

Chris
--

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawhomes.ca";>http://www.strawhomes.ca</a>