From: "Hank Carr" hank@...
To: sb-r-us@...; bale-on@...
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 2:36 PM
Subject: [SB-r-us] Straw Bale Numbers from Ontario

SB Folks,

I've finally had a few minutes to sit down with the information we collected
in the run up to our very successful second annual straw bale home and
building tour here in Ontario.  I don't have complete information from some
of these buildings so some of the numbers don't add up perfectly.

These numbers are based on 46 sites (with at least one building but in one
case four buildings.)

The buildings range in size from 100 square feet to 7000 square feet with an
average size of 1900 square feet.

Nineteen buildings (or groups of buildings) are load bearing.  Six are one
storey, eight are 1.5 storey, and three are 2 storey.  Eight are edge
stacked and nine are flat stacked.  Five have basements, ten are built on
slabs, and two are built on rubble trenches with concrete grade beams.
Eighteen used cement/lime/sand and one used clay/lime/sand.  Eighteen are
Nebraska and one is Quebec style.

Twenty-six buildings (or groups of buildings) are infill.  Seven are 1
storey, six are 1.5 storey, and twelve are 2 storey.  Fifteen are edge
stacked and two are flat stacked.  Ten have basements, twelve are built on
slabs, and one is built on a rubble trench with concrete grade beam.  Twenty
used cement/lime/sand and one used clay/lime/sand.

Thirty of these buildings used mesh and only three were pinned.  The three
that were pinned were all built more than five years ago.

I've got other information about these houses that I would be happy to share
if anyone is interested.

Hank Carr

Membership Coordinator

Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition