[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

GSBN: Digest for 12/12/04



This message contains a digest of the messages posted to the list today. If
you reply to this message, please be sure to change the subject line to
something meaningful. Also, be careful not to include the entire text of this
message in your reply.


---------------------------------------------------------------------


-> Re: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?
     by "Chug." chug@...
-> Re: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?
     by "chris newton" chris@...
-> GSBN: proposal
     by "Chug." chug@...
-> Re: GSBN:SB- Algae control
     by "Chug." chug@...
-> Re: GSBN: proposal
     by John Glassford huffnpuff@...
-> Re: proposal
     by "Martin Oehlmann" martin.oehlmann@...
-> GSBN:Re: proposal
     by "Chug." chug@...
-> Re: GSBN:Re: proposal
     by "Lars Keller" larskeller@...


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 03:53:47 -0600
From: "Chug." chug@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?

Dear Andre and Coralie,

great news that you have completed your book and CD and well done for selling
so many copies in
Paris in just three days,
by the way, how is your SB home/visitor centre? is it finished now or have you
still got things to
do?

keep up the excellent SB promotional work
Chug
chug@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: forum@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?


Hi all,

Coralie and I just participated in the first national Ecological Building Fair
in Paris. (Of course the incredible Tom Rijven and his groupies were present
also).
It was a great succes, it was held in one of those enormous halls that was in
great contrast with the content offered during the fair.
Almost 11.000 visitors!

Coralie and I presented our SB book (+CD-Rom)that we managed to finish 1 day
before the event (OK, it took some overtime to be ready, but hey... PARIS!!)
We sold 260 copies during the 3 days and got lots of nice feedback.
For those of you who participated in the making of this book, your copie will
be
sent out this week! So buy a dictionarry ! (or type it all out on Babelfish as
Chug cleaverly pointed out)





----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 04:00:51 -0600
From: "chris newton" chris@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?

Hi Andr#233#

I was talking to a farmer in Queensland, Australia the other day. He said
that farmers throw a bale of straw into dams that are effected by algae and
this gets rid of the algae? I am now on the look out for a dam effected by
algae so I can give it a try.

Regards Chris Newton
www.newtonhouse.info/straw.htm

>
> Anyway, this book is not the Myth that the title refers to.
> On the trade fair I spoke to a knowingly gentleman that sells ecological
> products to treat wood against termites and other wood eating critters. He
> claims that it is common knowledge amongst elder farmers that these
> insects do
> not attack the wood of the sheds where straw is (or was!) stored. The
> buildings
> just next to it are eaten, but not the straw storage sheds.
> He even claims that this knowledge is used to date buildings. But I did
> not
> quite understand how.
> He thinks some gas must be comming out of the (dry!) straw that treats the
> wood.
>
> He also informed me that Borax kills the termites by killing the germs in
> their
> stomachs and that Borax 'extinguishes' fire because it releases water
> molecules
> when heated.
>
> All comments are welcome.
>
> Au revoir,
> Andr#233#
>
> La Maison en Paille
> www.lamaisonenpaille.com
>
> PS. our website has had its 'spring' cleaning, feel welcome to browse
> arround.
>
>
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
> list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
> GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
> send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
>
>
>




----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 04:03:38 -0600
From: "Chug." chug@...
Subject: GSBN: proposal

Hi Bill and GSBNers,

I don't think he is a member of GSBN already so I would like to propose that
Hank Carr from the
Ontario Straw bale building Coalition is invited to join the group, any one
care to second or poo
poo this proposal?

bale on
Chug
chug@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Hank Carr" hank@...
To: sb-r-us@...; bale-on@...
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 2:36 PM
Subject: [SB-r-us] Straw Bale Numbers from Ontario



SB Folks,



I've finally had a few minutes to sit down with the information we collected
in the run up to our very successful second annual straw bale home and
building tour here in Ontario.  I don't have complete information from some
of these buildings so some of the numbers don't add up perfectly.



These numbers are based on 46 sites (with at least one building but in one
case four buildings.)



The buildings range in size from 100 square feet to 7000 square feet with an
average size of 1900 square feet.



Nineteen buildings (or groups of buildings) are load bearing.  Six are one
storey, eight are 1.5 storey, and three are 2 storey.  Eight are edge
stacked and nine are flat stacked.  Five have basements, ten are built on
slabs, and two are built on rubble trenches with concrete grade beams.
Eighteen used cement/lime/sand and one used clay/lime/sand.  Eighteen are
Nebraska and one is Quebec style.



Twenty-six buildings (or groups of buildings) are infill.  Seven are 1
storey, six are 1.5 storey, and twelve are 2 storey.  Fifteen are edge
stacked and two are flat stacked.  Ten have basements, twelve are built on
slabs, and one is built on a rubble trench with concrete grade beam.  Twenty
used cement/lime/sand and one used clay/lime/sand.



Thirty of these buildings used mesh and only three were pinned.  The three
that were pinned were all built more than five years ago.



I've got other information about these houses that I would be happy to share
if anyone is interested.



Hank Carr

Membership Coordinator

Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalebuilding.ca";>http://www.strawbalebuilding.ca</a> <<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalebuilding.ca/";>http://www.strawbalebuilding.ca/</a>>

members@...

<a  target="_blank" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/bale-on";>http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/bale-on</a>





----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 04:18:39 -0600
From: "Chug." chug@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:SB- Algae control

Hi Chris,

this is something that I have seen put into great effect over here and yes by
golly it does seem to
work, and it is being recommended by our Environment Agency!  Apparently
Barley straw is the best.
Barley pellets are a newer version of the same idea, and will generally start
working faster. Barley
straw needs several weeks before it starts working, and only after it starts
to 'rot' in the water.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.green-ways.co.uk/information.htm";>http://www.green-ways.co.uk/information.htm</a>

<a  target="_blank" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/3813079.stm";>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/3813079.stm</a>

bale on
Chug
chug@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "chris newton" chris@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:Nouveau Myth in the making...?


Hi Andr#233#

I was talking to a farmer in Queensland, Australia the other day. He said
that farmers throw a bale of straw into dams that are effected by algae and
this gets rid of the algae? I am now on the look out for a dam effected by
algae so I can give it a try.

Regards Chris Newton
www.newtonhouse.info/straw.htm

>
> Anyway, this book is not the Myth that the title refers to.
> On the trade fair I spoke to a knowingly gentleman that sells ecological
> products to treat wood against termites and other wood eating critters. He
> claims that it is common knowledge amongst elder farmers that these
> insects do
> not attack the wood of the sheds where straw is (or was!) stored. The
> buildings
> just next to it are eaten, but not the straw storage sheds.
> He even claims that this knowledge is used to date buildings. But I did
> not
> quite understand how.
> He thinks some gas must be comming out of the (dry!) straw that treats the
> wood.
>
> He also informed me that Borax kills the termites by killing the germs in
> their
> stomachs and that Borax 'extinguishes' fire because it releases water
> molecules
> when heated.
>
> All comments are welcome.
>
> Au revoir,
> Andr#233#
>
> La Maison en Paille
> www.lamaisonenpaille.com
>
> PS. our website has had its 'spring' cleaning, feel welcome to browse
> arround.




----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 04:21:36 -0600
From: John Glassford huffnpuff@...
Subject: Re: GSBN: proposal

Chug. wrote:

>Hi Bill and GSBNers,
>
>I don't think he is a member of GSBN already so I would like to propose that
Hank Carr from the
>Ontario Straw bale building Coalition is invited to join the group, any one
care to second or poo
>poo this proposal?
>

G 'day Chug

Anyone who is brave enough to build a two story load bearing on edge
straw bale building has my vote to join GSBN so I second your nomination
mate.

Kind regards John Glassford.





----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 04:34:26 -0600
From: "Martin Oehlmann" martin.oehlmann@...
Subject: Re: proposal

Yes proposals: I'd like to suggest Kuba (Jakob Wihan) from the Czech
Republic, presently living in Paris. He joined the last gathering in Denmark
and the last one in Austria. He is a motivated architect, presently taking a
years course at the Center for Alternative Technology in Wales and one of
the advocates for straw-bale construction: <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/</a>

Andre and Coralie: congretulations with your book. Put me on the orderlist
(Moulin du Roz, 29690 Berrien). Actually Kuba tried to sell straw panels
made in the Czech Republic at the same Paris fair.

Very best wishes, Martin



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 09:35:50 -0600
From: "Chug." chug@...
Subject: GSBN:Re: proposal


Nice one Martin,

I agree, having worked with Kuba in Yorkshire, England
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalebuildingassociation.org.uk/g8.html";>http://www.strawbalebuildingassociation.org.uk/g8.html</a>
and attended his presentation at the ISBBC in Denmark 2004.

bale on
Chug
chug@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Oehlmann" martin.oehlmann@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 9:12 AM
Subject: GSBN:Re: proposal


Yes proposals: I'd like to suggest Kuba (Jakob Wihan) from the Czech
Republic, presently living in Paris. He joined the last gathering in Denmark
and the last one in Austria. He is a motivated architect, presently taking a
years course at the Center for Alternative Technology in Wales and one of
the advocates for straw-bale construction: <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/</a>

Andre and Coralie: congretulations with your book. Put me on the orderlist
(Moulin du Roz, 29690 Berrien). Actually Kuba tried to sell straw panels
made in the Czech Republic at the same Paris fair.

Very best wishes, Martin





----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2004 13:22:37 -0600
From: "Lars Keller" larskeller@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: proposal

Right on.
Lars Keller, Denmark.

~~~

- ----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Chug." chug@...
To: GSBN@...
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:12 PM
Subject: GSBN:Re: proposal


> 
> Nice one Martin,
> 
> I agree, having worked with Kuba in Yorkshire, England
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalebuildingassociation.org.uk/g8.html";>http://www.strawbalebuildingassociation.org.uk/g8.html</a>
> and attended his presentation at the ISBBC in Denmark 2004.
> 
> bale on
> Chug
> chug@...
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
> .
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Martin Oehlmann" martin.oehlmann@...
> To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
> Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 9:12 AM
> Subject: GSBN:Re: proposal
> 
> 
> Yes proposals: I'd like to suggest Kuba (Jakob Wihan) from the Czech
> Republic, presently living in Paris. He joined the last gathering in Denmark
> and the last one in Austria. He is a motivated architect, presently taking a
> years course at the Center for Alternative Technology in Wales and one of
> the advocates for straw-bale construction: <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/</a>
> 
> Andre and Coralie: congretulations with your book. Put me on the orderlist
> (Moulin du Roz, 29690 Berrien). Actually Kuba tried to sell straw panels
> made in the Czech Republic at the same Paris fair.
> 
> Very best wishes, Martin
> 
> 
> 
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list
are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as
an advisory board and technical editing arm.
> 
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send
email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.  
> ----
>


----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Digest

To request a copy of the help file, reply to this message and put "help" in
the subject.