Re: GSBN:Interesting test results

Martin,

I was always under the impression that lime was built up in thinner
layers because of the need for the lime plaster to recombine with
atmospheric CO2. If it goes on too thickly, not only will it crack
because of it's own weight sliding down the wall before it sets, but
it won't cure fully because the stuff that's buried deep won't
carbonize properly. But somebody with more lime knowledge might be
able to shed more light on this subject!

I think what the testing at Queen's suggests is that regardless of
the kind of plaster or its final compressive strength, the thicker it
goes on, the stronger the final wall assembly. This is not surprising
in itself, but what surprised me was that the thickness made so much
more difference than the plaster strength. Better to have 30mm of
quite weak plaster than 10mm of super strong stuff. I think it helps
make the case for earthen plasters, which like to be thick and don't
cost a lot to make thick, and who cares if they're not quite as
strong as a cement-based plaster.

Chris

Hi,

for lime one layer should not exceed more than 10 mm due to moisture
protection, so building up thickness traditionally is done in layers
(normally 3). Does this team is confirming this tradition?

Martin
--

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawhomes.ca";>http://www.strawhomes.ca</a>

The Last Straw Journal?