Re: GSBN:Re: Proposal

Hi all,

This brings us to a central issue of the public nature of this list,
which has been quietly troubling me for some time.  When we were
considering whether to make the archives public, I wondered whether
the change might lead to any sort of self-censorship on sensitive
issues, a tendency to trim off a few too many sharp edges because of
concerns about liability, making someone feel bad, or sounding like a
jerk in public.  I decided to wait and see what happened, because
openness and a free flow of information seemed more important than
any theoretical drawbacks.

But now we've had a couple of situations that are close.  Under
slightly different circumstances, we would have had to be very
careful what we said about Danny Buck's SB Moisture Problem.  Now as
I was reading through, and everyone was high-fiving the various
nominees, I was just getting to musing on what would happen if I were
to nominate Daffy Duck, when Rob's little bucket of vitriol poured
onto my screen.

The problem is that in discussing new potential members (and in other
not so theoretical situations) we are airing our opinions of other
people's professional reputations.  We have to do this.  The paradox
that I see is an ethical requirement to be honest with each other,
without defaming anyone in public, or releasing information that
could be used by one party or another in lawsuits, etc.

I don't have a great idea for a way out of this bind.  Since I'm not
much of a computer guy, I wonder whether there is some way to deal
with it technologically- a GSBNXXX list whose records are sealed to
the wider public?  My main intention is to intruduce this concern, to
see whether it is shared by others.

And a PS to Chris Magwood- I thought you might like to know that when
I read your announcement about the OS/ISBBC, I immediately and
instinctively hollered so loud that the dog  jumped up and grabbed a
toy, thinking I must be ready to play.  I took her up on the offer.

Paul

Hi all,

Regarding new people for GSBN. I have had an extensive exchange with
Hank Carr off list which I thought was constructive and quite useful. I
pledge to invite him as a list member. I know he has had an altercation
with Rob Tom and I respect his objections but I feel we should not
become a list of true believers it is good to have constructive
differences of opinions.

Having said that I would not like to lose Rob Tom on GSBN. At the same
time I would like to make a pledge for being inclusive.  Maybe ask
other OSBBC members what their opinion is of Hank Carr before going
further because I feel there is a potential risk of this blossoming
into a conflict which could be damaging to people and the interests of
our open movement.