Re: GSBN:Question re R-values

Bob was involved in the research that led to the Energy Commission report,
as were Greg and Turko (those Straw Dawgs), David Eisenberg, and myself.
The numbers were all over the place.  However, the best test gave a value
that equates to about R-1.5/inch.  for the 'standard' bales in central
California (~22.5" wide), that results in an R-33.  The Energy Commission
took the conservative approach of assigning straw bales walls an R-30,
until someone comes along who has the time and energy to devote to more
testing.
I generally tell people who ask that the tested value is around R-30, but
that in California, the walls perform more like R-45 due to the thermal
lag.  I put the "California" qualifier in there because in a location where
the temperature drops below freezing and stays there for a couple weeks,
the tested value is likely to be the more accurate one.  The thermal lag
only comes into play where the day time temperatures are significantly
higher than the night time temps.

Nehemiah Stone

available