RE: GSBN:Re: Question re R-values

Derek,

I would be careful about quoting the Sandia Labs' report.  It had some
serious limitations.  Also, be careful with interpretations of ORNL's
tests.  ORNL has develoed a term they call "effective R-value."  While it
does do a better job of accounting for extra lumber in the wall and the
lost insulation value of spaces left unisulated, it unfortunately also
mixes infiltration with thermal conductance - what the R-value is supposed
to measure.

However, you are right that a simple comparison of fiberglass' R-19 to
straw bales' R-30 (or R-33) is not appropriate either.  Recent research
sponsored by the Energy Commission indicated that an "R-19 wall" as it is
generally constructed, only gives about R-12.  If extra care is taken to
make sure that insulation surfaces are flush to siding and sheetrock
surfaces, that insulation surrounds all wiring, that it fits tight around
switch and outlet boxes, and that it completely fills all bays, then the
"R-19" insulation will give you about R-14.  Whoopee!

On the whole, I agree with your approach of avoiding the simplistic answer.
However, I have also found that some people are more than a little turned
off by a technical answer to what they thought was a simple question.

Nehemiah

of regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.