GSBN:What type of sand?

Martin O> commented that crushed/angular sand is preferred for lime plaster
(because it interlocks?).

Other sources (books on renovation using the old techniques)prefer
'round-sand'/'river-sand'.I think this is what the oldies used, as I cannot
imagine them crushing the sand.

Some say sand from the beach is/can be ok, or should be washed. Others say one
shouldn't use it.

I have not been able yet to form myself an oppinion other than: it is important
to test and most sands would probably work.

Any of you have theories/experiences to share on this subject?
Would there be any different behavior for lime, earth or cement mixes?

Bye,
Andre