From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Rene Dalmeijer
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 9:13 AM
To: GSBN
Subject: GSBN:Leaving bales bare

Fellow SBers,

A topic I have been pondering recently concerns the logic of rapidly
applying plaster to bale walls. I plead for doing so.   Based on the
following logic:

Fresh dry bales are basically relatively spore free. If these bales are
rapidly encased in plaster there is very little chance that the straw will
be infected with new fungus spores. Therefore seriously improving the
chances of a long life span of the SB wall even in the event of a one time
wetting.

In the past I have heard about and seen SB houses that have experienced such
a seemingly disastrous wetting without serious consequences. I expect that
the bales were able to dry without fungus growth setting in because of very
low spore levels due to using fresh and dry straw during the build. In other
cases though I have seen bales rapidly growing mushrooms after a seemingly
light wetting. I think the main thing separating these cases is the presence
or lack of- spores in the bales.

I wonder what others feel on this topic. I strongly believe that one of the
main tricks to longevity to SB walls is getting the bales dry in the walls
and then getting the building rapidly out of the after building moisture
phase.

Rene