GSBN:Re: Leaving bales bare

EuroRay wrote:

we need to understand the "cause of the cause."

and Habib wrote:

When ordering bales our clients are encouraged to ask how the bales are
stored and the weather conditions at the time of harvest.

I think that Habib's deceptively-simple one-liner is probably a major
factor in determining the ultimate susceptibility of dried bales to
the  deleterious effects of the dreaded Dormant Spore Gang; that is
that the  health and vigor of bales likely begins in the field .

ie Straw that is cut at the right time (ie not too green, not too
dead),  properly dried in windrows and not rained upon before baling
and then  stored properly until stacked in the wall, the key
ingredient being  moisture, or more precisely, the lack thereof
during each stage of its  life.

To state the obvious, I would venture that the preceding
(harvest/storage  conditions) determines the extent to which straw's
natural defense  mechanism (ie its waxy coating) remains intact.

That is to say, moisture content readings will tell us the current
state  of the straw
(dry or not dry) but it tells us nothing of its history and health
and by  corollary its "mouldability".  ie Straw that has begun to
decay due to  poor harvesting/storage and was subsequently dried may
still read "Dry" as  a result of a moisture check but its natural
defense mechanism could be  shot to hell.

So in addition to a moisture meter when checking the suitability of
bales  for building, perhaps what is also needed is a wax-o-meter ?
In lieu of a  gizmological wax-o-meter, fortunately, most of us have
been provided with  biological ones (eyeballs and hands).

       ~~~ * ~~~
     Robert W. Tom
  Kanata, Ontario, Canada
ArchiLogic@...
(winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply)