-> Re: GSBN:Seeking some advice - metal framing
     by "Habib John Gonzalez" habibg@...
-> re: Exterior cladding question
     by ArchiLogic@...

Date: 9 Feb 2005 12:03:44 -0600
From: "Habib John Gonzalez" habibg@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Seeking some advice - metal framing

Joyce:

Metal frame systems are used in a variety of regions.

Last summer our primary bale producer in Rimbey, Alberta, built a 1000 sqft.
shop for his eldest son using recycled 6" oil well drill casing as posts.
The pipe was cleaned and painted, then filled with vermiculite insulation
and mounted in the middle of the bale wall. He does not foresee any problems
with the metal posts.

Tony Perry, in New Mexico,  published a story on his mid wall metal post
system in The Last Straw a few years ago.

There is a three story 4,000 sqft. metal frame bale home near rain soaked
Seattle, WA, with no reported problems.

We are scheduled to bale and plaster a two story metal post bale home in the
Rockies this spring using the high strength and quick build Wolf Hook
connector system. <a  target="_blank" href="http://community.webshots.com/user/wwilbert";>http://community.webshots.com/user/wwilbert</a>  and
<a  target="_blank" href="http://telusplanet.net/public/wolfhook";>http://telusplanet.net/public/wolfhook</a>

On a similar note, a client replaced a window in her load bearing home with
a larger one. Her home was built in 1996 when we still used rebar embalers
and wall pins. She removed the rebar pins and embalers in the area to do the
renovation. After five years in the walls, none of the rebar showed any
signs of moisture or mould.

all the best,

Habib

Sustainable Works
Habib John Gonzalez
615 Cedar Street, Nelson, B.C.
Canada V1L 2C4
tel/fax 250.352.3731
www.sustainableworks.ca
********
"Better the kindness of imperfection than perfection without kindness."