Re: GSBN:re: Exterior cladding question

Bruce and All,

For what its worth --- What I saw in Saudi Arabia may not be called
compressed earth blocks, but in fact thats what they were. I saw 150
year old standing buildings, unoccupied and uncared for during last 30
years, made with hand-made sundried mud, not clay, blocks. The house I
was shown through was three stories tall, approx. 25' high. The hand
made blocks were 2"x4"x8" with a loaf shaped rise on the top. The wall
surfaces were plastered with the same mud. And, yes Saudi can have
winter rains, but not always the torrents I experienced. The new blocks
made for the library project had some straw mixed in the mud, but I can
not say the old blocks had any reinforcing.

Regards, Chris Stafford