Re: GSBN:re: Exterior cladding question

Bruce,

Did you ever get a copy of the Guide to Compressed Earth Blocks: Testing
Procedures, from Craterre and CDE that we had for the ASTM Earthen
Materials Task Group I was leading a few years ago? Also there's the set
of New Zealand Earth Buildings Standards - three volumes - (NZS 4297-1998
Engineering Design of Earth Buildings; NZS 4298-1998 Materials and
Workmanship for Earth Buildings; and NZS 4299-1998 Earth Building Not
Requiring Specific Design)?

I have one spare set of these if you don't have them. Let me know.

David

>From:  ecobruce@...(Bruce King)
>Sender:    GSBN@...(GSBN)
>
>On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:44 PM, Catherine Wanek wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris & all--
>>
>> One thing that has not been mentioned..... I understand that there is
>> usually about 9% cement added to compressed earth blocks, which makes
>> them
>> more durable to the weather and would also affect their permeability.
>>
>> But how much, I wonder?
>
>Bruce King here, and so do I.  I'm about to start two different design
>and research projects, ie houses with experiments and monitoring on the
>side, using compressed earth blocks.
>
>In both cases, the owner also wants to start selling blocks, and both
>are in high seismic areas (Portland, Oregon and Nevada City, California
>(Sierra foothills).
>
>A recent visit with Tom Morton, a Scottish architect working with earth
>blocks, really convinced me that adding cement is not only sometimes
>unnecessary, but even detrimental to performance by several measures.
>Can anyone refer me to field experience and/or testing information
>(strength and durability, mainly) for compressed earth blocks without
>cement?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bruce King, PE

David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, AZ  85726-7513
(520) 624-6628 voice / (520) 798-3701 fax
strawnet@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.dcat.net";>http://www.dcat.net</a>

"Truly appropriate technology is technology that ordinary people
can use for their own benefit and the benefit of their community
that doesn't make them dependent on systems over which they have
no control."             John F.C. Turner