GSBN:Rapport de Recherche: Construction en Blocs de Terre Comprimee

Bruce, King of Sausalito wrote:

Can anyone refer me to field experience and/or testing information
(strength and durability, mainly) for compressed earth blocks without
cement?

and Mike Faine M.FAINE@... wrote:

There is a very good publication In Australia with the title "The
Australian earth building handbook"

I have designed one compressed earth block house that used
a 5% (by volume) cement content. For our soils (in the Sydney basin)
that seems to be about the right combination and accepted wisdom.

Dears Your High!ness and Mike;

I never thought I'd write the words "Australian" and "wisdom" in the same
sentence,
but the CMHC report whose title is mentioned in the subject heading seems
to agree
with the "accepted (Australian) wisdom" and expresses a high regard for
Australian
earthen block-building expertise.

In case WatJohn hasn't already given you a copy of the CMHC report,the
author, Ginette Dupuy (and archi-enginoidal sort) writes:

	"L'Australie est le pays qui a le mieux reussi a integrer la construction
	en terre, la technologie de la terre comprimee est une des mieux
maitrisee.
	En effet, vingt pour-cent des habitations neuves sont construites en
terre."

In the testing that Ginette wrote up in her report, the Quebecois mixes
seem to have required 3 - 5% Portland cement depending upon the native
soil composition of a particular area, which appears to agree with the
Australian experience.

Lots of nifty data/tables/graphs in the report including values for
density, (thermal)conductivity and resistance, heat capacity, freeze/thaw
resitance. permeability, ,water absorption, compression resistance etc.
(I'm guessing about 100 pages).

It's available en francais seulment as I've mentioned to this List
previously, but I would imagine that with email, some of our francophone
friends could easily translate those non- numeric portions where
translation may be required.

That being said, I wonder if the Californian testing might include some
samples using psyllium as the stabiliser, in place of Portland , just for
the heck of it ?

       ~~~ * ~~~
     Robert W. Tom
  Kanata, Ontario, Canada
ArchiLogic@...
(winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply)